Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catarrh, runny nose

Options
  • 20-03-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I know that, in the grand scheme of things, a bit of catarrh and a constant runny nose aren't the worst ailments to have, but just wondered if anyone knew of any good remedies to help alleviate these symptoms.

I've had chronic catarrh and runny/blocked nose for about two years now; tried going to my GP but was prescribed steroids which I refuse to take for something like this. Have been using 'NeilMed Sinus Rinse' which helps to clear my sinuses in the morning, but the dripping down the back of my throat returns after a couple of hours.

Done the rounds in a few health shops over the weekend and was recommended different things in each of them; one showed me a product called Xlear, which looks quite good, another suggested a Horseradish and Garlic complex.

I'm aware that diet, and especially dairy products, can contribute to catarrh/runny rose, and have adjusted my diet accordingly, but that hasn't made much difference to date.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know that, in the grand scheme of things, a bit of catarrh and a constant runny nose aren't the worst ailments to have, but just wondered if anyone knew of any good remedies to help alleviate these symptoms.

I've had chronic catarrh and runny/blocked nose for about two years now; tried going to my GP but was prescribed steroids which I refuse to take for something like this. Have been using 'NeilMed Sinus Rinse' which helps to clear my sinuses in the morning, but the dripping down the back of my throat returns after a couple of hours.

Done the rounds in a few health shops over the weekend and was recommended different things in each of them; one showed me a product called Xlear, which looks quite good, another suggested a Horseradish and Garlic complex.

I'm aware that diet, and especially dairy products, can contribute to catarrh/runny rose, and have adjusted my diet accordingly, but that hasn't made much difference to date.

Any help appreciated.

Wondering why? Must be a trigger/allergy.

I suffered this for years, as the house I was in was damp and then developed a terrible case of black mould.

When I was away for a day? No symptoms,

When I moved? All cleared up. Used to live on Vicks. Now never use it.

Any possibility of allergy with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wondering why? Must be a trigger/allergy.

I suffered this for years, as the house I was in was damp and then developed a terrible case of black mould.

When I was away for a day? No symptoms,

When I moved? All cleared up. Used to live on Vicks. Now never use it.

Any possibility of allergy with you?

Seems unlikely. I had an issue with my stomach/oesophagus a while back and the catarrh/runny nose kinda developed as a result of that.

Strangely though, I asked my doctor whether the two were related and she said no, so it could be that my system is run-down or didn't fully recover.

Think it's one of those things that people seem to develop for a whole variety of reasons and there's no one solution for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seems unlikely. I had an issue with my stomach/oesophagus a while back and the catarrh/runny nose kinda developed as a result of that.

Strangely though, I asked my doctor whether the two were related and she said no, so it could be that my system is run-down or didn't fully recover.

Think it's one of those things that people seem to develop for a whole variety of reasons and there's no one solution for everyone.

Yeah, I thought so too! Until I realised truth! Allergies were for .. well not me!

Not worth a try?

Ah well; up to you.

Advertisement