Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing person description reports.

Options
  • 20-03-2017 1:59pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that in newspaper reports of missing people that in cases where it's obvious that the person is probably not of Irish extraction that this is not mentioned. For instance someone of Asian or African extraction is described thus "black hair, brown eyes etc". Are media outlets here not allowed to mention the persons ethnicity or is it a self imposed ban out of political correctness? Could this hinder the missing person being located in these cases?

Comments

I find the accompanying photograph to be of assistance............

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they are Polish it usually says, no? Do you mean if they are Indian or Nigerian or such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Maybe and its a maybe, so maybe its because if people see that the missing people are from Romania/Africa/indian/Chinese/Polish etc They wont take it as serious as if its an Irish person, Some people maybe will think there just gone home sure they be grand...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

biko wrote: »
    If they are Polish it usually says, no? Do you mean if they are Indian or Nigerian or such?

Non white or non European extraction generally. I think it's more so with teenagers who may have grown up or been born here to parents from abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It depends on the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The Garda system does not record race or ethnicity, only nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

What I always find odd is that the photos of the missing person are very often terrible quality. If I ever go missing there's umpteen pics to choose from on Facebook, 90% of which are a fair representation of what I actually look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

bubblypop wrote: »

Useful when listening to the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Reminds me of the episode of Only Fools and horses when Grandad, Del and Rodney had to give a description of the thief....

"I'm just reading these descriptions of
    the Phantom of the Market! Oh, it's good, Del. It's good!
    According to you and your family, we are looking for a
    6ft 7in dwarf, aged between 15 and 50, a white male with
    oriental features, who's as black as Newgate's knocker!
    And, oh yeah, he wears a deaf-aid!"

What I always find odd is that the photos of the missing person are very often terrible quality. If I ever go missing there's umpteen pics to choose from on Facebook, 90% of which are a fair representation of what I actually look like.

Not everyone is on the Facebook?

• Advertisement

Useful when listening to the radio.

Well, if you hear of a missing person on the radio and you were genuinely interested, then surely you would look elsewhere for more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well, if you hear of a missing person on the radio and you were genuinely interested, then surely you would look elsewhere for more information?

If I knew the person maybe, but I don't have the morbid curiosity that many people seem to have over missing people they don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well then it shows their hair colour too. Won't bother having any description in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing that drives me mad about missing persons page on Facebook if a body is found people always basically assumes it's suicide in the comments the write!

Advertisement