Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Belfast train - does it tend to be full these days...?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Am travelling tomorrow - from Dublin 735 and back from Belfast 1605 - I used to get this train a lot a good few years ago and wouldn't expect these services to be full -

I have mixed experience of IE's seat reservation system - do people think reservation is necessary?

thanks

(I did search but last relevant thread was 4 years old)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

No you'll probably be ok

If you wanna reserve to be more comfortable do it, Enterprise users are far more respectful of reserved lights than other I.E. users and on the refitted enterprise rserveation panels are far more obvious

But the main full time is Friday afternoons when students are going home even then you'll get a seat

I'd strongly recommend, if you wanna get a seat for sure without reserve , get there 20-25 min beforehand go to the right into the waiting area and sit in chair closest to the door as that will be the top when the que forms.
    Most people turn up 10 min before

You'll still get a seat arriving later I've never seen every seat full ever ever but if you want your pick get there early
    Mornings are busier than during the day but not full

Que recommendations work same on the way back . It's the same fate you exit when you come up go up to that and que a good bit before and you'll have more choice

Frequently on Enterprise I see people getting on the first standard class carriage the one after the dining car and thinking crap the trains full but there's tonnes of seats further down so if you arrive later skip the first two standard carriages they fill first

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    No you'll probably be ok

If you wanna reserve to be more comfortable do it, Enterprise users are far more respectful of reserved lights than other I.E. users and on the refitted enterprise rserveation panels are far more obvious

But the main full time is Friday afternoons when students are going home even then you'll get a seat

I'd strongly recommend, if you wanna get a seat for sure without reserve , get there 20-25 min beforehand go to the right into the waiting area and sit in chair closest to the door as that will be the top when the que forms.
    Most people turn up 10 min before

You'll still get a seat arriving later I've never seen every seat full ever ever but if you want your pick get there early
    Mornings are busier than during the day but not full

Que recommendations work same on the way back . It's the same fate you exit when you come up go up to that and que a good bit before and you'll have more choice

Frequently on Enterprise I see people getting on the first standard class carriage the one after the dining car and thinking crap the trains full but there's tonnes of seats further down so if you arrive later skip the first two standard carriages they fill first

thanks a million, very helpful

I lived in Dundalk about 15 years ago, was on this train a lot, do remember the odd time sitting on the floor in between the carriages but I think that was often Sunday nights - so was just wondering had it changed much, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

They did s big upgrade since then it's nicest most comfortable train on the island now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The 7 :35 won't be packed. You will be ok for a seat. Coach A and B is first class, C is the catering coach, D is for online reservations but if there is a green light above the seat then it's free, coaches E,F and G are the non reserved coaches.

Advertisement