Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl murdered by stalker ex boyfriend had been fined by police for wasting their time

Options
  • 19-03-2017 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭

A teenage girl in England was murdered several months ago by her obsessive 27 year old ex-boyfriend. Only surfaced now that the police had fined her for wasting their time after she reached out to them about threats made by her ex, and concerns over her own safety. Really pathetic that the people who are meant to protect us could not see the danger in this situation, I don't understand how a much older man exhibiting disturbing behaviour and stalking a vulnerable young girl wasnt deemed a serious situation that could escalate. Really tragic, as always with these things, somebody has to die before anything changes. RIP young lady.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/shana-grice-murdered-stalking-fined-for-wasting-police-time-michael-lane-trial-lewes-crown-court-a7637196.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Jesus that is horrible really sad story RIP to the young woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Typical of the Statsi, sorry police in the UK now.

Won't charge shoplifters as long as the value is below £100, spending millions on "high profile" false witchhunts, searching for a kid in another jurisdiction, Tasering children etc,etc.

But if you get burgled or assaulted.. Nope can't help you.

Say her family will get a massive payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Leaving the fine element aside.
    If the police had done something about this what would it have been? A verbal warning?
    Or would a court order barring him from being a certain distance from the girl be implemented?
    I'm just wondering if this would have occurred anyway.
    Guy is obviously a nut job and needs his life thrown in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Say her family will get a massive payout.

Say her family would rather have their daughter back tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

bear1 wrote: »
    Leaving the fine element aside.
    If the police had done something about this what would it have been? A verbal warning?
    Or would a court order barring him from being a certain distance from the girl be implemented?
    I'm just wondering if this would have occurred anyway.
    Guy is obviously a nut job and needs his life thrown in prison.

well anything would have helped more than persecuting the victim..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

wakka12 wrote: »

True persecuting her was a complete and utter farce.
    Just wondering about the general law surrounding this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

wakka12 wrote: »

Let's fix our own criminal, corrupt police force before we step up to changing the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm a bit uneasy about the implicit UK-bashing here - from what I've seen, there's every possibility that she would have been treated in the same manner by the Gardaí. Not saying it's a probability, but I'm sure it wasn't a probability in the UK either - there are rotten cops who refuse to actually do their jobs in every jurisdiction.

As for what could have been done, the key moment in the article is this:
    In July last year, the court heard Lane stole Ms Grice’s keys and broke into her home to watch her sleep.

He was cautioned for this offence and told to stay away from her, but Ms Grice’s complaints that he was following her and making “heavy breathing” calls were apparently labelled as “low risk” by police.

This specific line is the f*ck up. Guy should have been thrown in prison or at the very least electronically tagged with a restriction against being anywhere near her gaff for that. In my view, burglary, be it for the purposes of stalking or theft or anything else, should carry a mandatory jail sentence. Normal members of society do not break into other peoples' homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is why having judges say things like 'you're less likely to be believed if you've been drinking' is a bad thing.

In this case it's not because she was drinking but was in contact with the person abusing her.

Police are only human.. they're as capable as anyone else at making judgement calls based on what they see in front of them or what others say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tbh we can never really predict when a nuisance will become deadly. How many people in this country have been killed by partners and spouses who have previously been denied assistance? You can't do much to combat low level harassment and you can't put someone in prison for something they might do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

eviltwin wrote: »
    Tbh we can never really predict when a nuisance will become deadly. How many people in this country have been killed by partners and spouses who have previously been denied assistance? You can't do much to combat low level harassment and you can't put someone in prison for something they might do.

You can put someone in prison for breaking and entering, which should have been a massive red flag to both the cops and judiciary that the guy was a dangerous scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

eviltwin wrote: »
    One case I remember very well was years ago when a girl and her mum were killed by an ex outside Sligo General. I seem to remember that their were several Garda failings in that.

Advertisement