Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring fort in the garden

Options
  • 19-03-2017 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got two very well preserved ring forts on my farm, one right next to my house and I need some advice. They were full of trees for years, but these were cut some time back, with all the correct permits/permissions. The house was obviously built in a time when planning laws were pretty relaxed so the edge of the fort is less than a metre from the corner of the house. The part nearest the house has been a lawn with some shrubs for the last 50+ years. The rest of the fort (I's say 90% of it area) are now covered in ferns that have died off. I'd like to clear these off by hand and throw some meadow mix on there of possible to make it more presentable. Any idea if this would be allowed, and what would be allowable on the section that is under existing lawn in terms of planting. We have both well fenced off from the farm land and have always allowed a safe perimeter around them when reseeding etc. I assume I should also contact An Taisce for advice. I've also got a standing stone in woods near the house and I'd also like to clear briers etc for access.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

National Monuments Service would be best placed to advise you of your rights and responsibilities under the law . . . you don't want to end up in any costly bother after you've done the work.

https://www.archaeology.ie/contact-us#d.en.12851

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

......... wrote: »
    National Monuments Service would be best placed to advise you of your rights and responsibilities under the law . . . you don't want to end up in any costly bother after you've done the work.

https://www.archaeology.ie/contact-us#d.en.12851

Thanks for the information, I'll give them a call.

Regards,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Any work you do above ground should be fine. As long as you are not ploughing up the ground to reseed you should be fine also.

In the future, should you ever plan to extend any of the buildings in the vicinity of the ringfort you should try to keep any proposed extension as far as possible from the ringfort in order to minimise disturbance to the monument and to save time, money and hassle for yourself.

As a general rule of thumb, never get in touch with an Taisce about anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement