Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experiences of Wales and the Welsh culture? - I have the option of relocating the

Options
  • 19-03-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was just wondering whether anyone had any experiences of Wales and the culture of the country/people.
    I have the option of relocating to Cardiff with my job and it's a more senior role so I am tempted. I've never been there before but I know it's supposed to be a very picturesque country. As it's a Celtic country, I assume it's a very sociable place and I have always got on well with the Welsh when I've met them in Dublin for the rugby. 
    There also seems to be quite a large Irish community in Cardiff, which will make it easier. I hope they are Irish-friendly - I just better not mention my grand parents are English :-) I'm just unsure whether to take up the offer as I'm a Dublin lad through and through.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I've been to Cardiff a couple of times. It's alright, nothing special. Lots of fights seem to break out when the pubs close, it's always on those Police TV shows. Personally I think Dublin is a way better city, and I wouldn't move to Cardiff if you paid me. But they're offering to pay you to move there, so if it's worth your while career and money wise and you've no ties here, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch,

A railway station on the island of Anglesey in Wales, is the longest place name in the Welsh language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 farfrae

Well I'm English (with a big love of Ireland) and live in West Wales. Moved here 7 years ago from England (after a house purchase in Ireland fell through)

In some respects Wales seems the least Celtic of the Celtic countries as there is not much traditional music other than the male voice choirs. On the other hand the language is stronger than many of the other celtic countries. Due to it being 'pushed' by the Welsh Assembly. In many areas Welsh is the first language although it varies from place to place.

It's never been an issue where I live (despite it being very rural) and certainly won't be in Cardiff which is close to the border. Cardiff also has a big University.

I think Cardiff has a fairly vibrant club scene (i'm too old!) due to their being lots of students

It's a beautiful Country if you want to get out walking in the mountains and has fabulous beaches on the west coast. It's also easy to get back to Ireland with flights from Cardiff and Bristol as well as the ferries from Pembroke and Fishguard. Which is really the reason we live here as we can get to Ireland easily if we want.

People are people everywhere you go and generally want the same things. My question is 'would you be sure about coming to te UK with Brexit looming and a weak pound?'

PM me if you have any specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I spent a lot of time in Cardiff having dated a Welshie. Lovely welcoming people and a great culture. Don't regret a single minute I spent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sheep
    Rugby
    Choirs
    In no particular order.

But in all seriousness there is little or no difference in cultures, lived in North Wales for several years their very much like us really very welcoming and sociable ,there is plenty to do and see if you get out exploring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Oh, whas occurin'?

Nothing beyond that sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Hop on the ferry and drive over and have a look. Stay a couple of days and see what you think. It is not the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Ah Wales, a country where the men are men and the sheep are nervous....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Obligatory Blackadder quote:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Drink and property is cheaper that Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Been there a few times for work and never had a problem. They locals are really friendly. Cost of living in Cardiff and Swansea is less than Dublin and most of Ireland. Travel options back to Ireland aren't great. I had to go to Bristol to get flights to Dublin most of the time. It isn't as "celtic" as the RoI or Scotland.

Advertisement