Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wash scratched my car. Next steps?

Options
  • 19-03-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi --

I took my car to a manual car wash earlier today. I inspected my car after arriving back home, and found two scratches, one on the side and another on the roof of the car. Both about 5-8cm long. My car is black, and I can see a lighter colour inside each scratch.

My question:

1) Any point in going back to the car wash and arguing my case? I have a mild OCD around my car, and I'm certain the scratches weren't there before. I don't have any objective evidence however.

2) Where should I wash my car going forward? I don't have the space or equipment to do it myself. I don't trust auto car washes. I feel I'm out of options.

3) How much would it cost to fix the scratches? I also have a small stone chip on the passenger door (3mm in diameter). I'd appreciate a rough estimate for fixing these issues.

Thanks. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Happened me before.
    They just laughed and pointed at their ts and cs.
    Never got any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dan_K wrote: »
    2) Where should I wash my car going forward? I don't have the space or equipment to do it myself. I don't trust auto car washes. I feel I'm out of options.
    If you`ve a space to park your car you have the space to wash it.
    As for equipment I use a sponge and a basin of warm soapy water.
    If you don't want stuff like this happening, do it yourself.

As for repairing the scratches enquire in Halfords about scratch repair.
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1. Don't ever use a brush wash.
    2. Don't use a squidgy.
    3. Don't use a sponge.
    4. Black cars scratch if you look at them.

If you want to do it right get a jet washer and spray it down and get all the hard stuff off first.

Get a microfiber mitt or lambs wool mitt.

If you really want it to look well and stay looking well go over to motors and detailing section you will get all the stuff you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dan_K

Appreciate the responses so far.
    If you`ve a space to park your car you As for repairing the scratches enquire in Halfords about scratch repair.
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers

I don't want to make the matter worse by attempting a DIY job, as I have zero experience. How much would a body shop charge to fix the two scratches and one stone chip, roughly speaking? Are we talking €100? Less? More?

1. Don't ever use a brush wash.
    2. Don't use a squidgy.
    3. Don't use a sponge.
    4. Black cars scratch if you look at them.

If you want to do it right get a jet washer and spray it down and get all the hard stuff off first.

Get a microfiber mitt or lambs wool mitt.

If you really want it to look well and stay looking well go over to motors and detailing section you will get all the stuff you need.

• Advertisement

Dan_K wrote: »
    Appreciate the responses so far.

I don't want to make the matter worse by attempting a DIY job, as I have zero experience. How much would a body shop charge to fix the two scratches and one stone chip, roughly speaking? Are we talking €100? Less? More?

If its down through the paint then it will be a re spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try dent pro. They quoted me 180 per panel to get scratches repaired. I never had the time to get it done though.
    They've an app that lets you upload a photo for a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Get yourself 2 buckets and a wash mitt. This way you won't destroy your paint work every time you wash your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dan_K

Lesson learned the hard way. I'll take it to one of those self-service car wash stations in the future. :(
    Try dent pro. They quoted me 180 per panel to get scratches repaired. I never had the time to get it done though.
    They've an app that lets you upload a photo for a quote.

€180 per panel? I have three panels to fix, so €540? Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be so expensive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I will only use the self service wand car washes as there is no way in hell I would ever put my car through the automated ones.

They are by their nature, going to scratch cars, where do you think all the dirt and muck that was washed off the cars before you ends up? Which is why they are all use at your own risk.

And with the wands, I always power hose down the brush attachment first and check it with my hand to make sure there is no dirt on it.
    But I still rather wash the car at home most times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If you`ve a space to park your car you have the space to wash it.
    As for equipment I use a sponge and a basin of warm soapy water.
    If you don't want stuff like this happening, do it yourself.

As for repairing the scratches enquire in Halfords about scratch repair.

Like nails down a chalkboard. :eek:

Theres a car wash near me,
    I've seem them washing cars with sweeping brushes.
    I spent 4 hours washing mine the other day ;)
    2 bucket wash,detar,polish and wax.
    Arch liners off and cleaned .
    Did 300km over the weekend and shes still gleaming

Advertisement