Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake "news" in feeds

Options
  • 19-03-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭

I have a youtube feed part of which involves videos of interviews by CNN amongst many others.

So anyway I caught this one in my feed which indicated Clinton had given an interview a few hours earlier. Naturally I thought, ok Clinton must have given an interview to CNN. So I clicked on it.

I quickly realised it was clickbait and 10 seconds in the "interview" was bulls***. This flustered me.

What actually surprised me though was in the comments section most appear to believe it's genuine. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKrRLFxOQk

In the still before you click play the newsbar at the bottom has been doctored to read "Clinton: Trump will kill us all"

I'm increasingly coming across this and I find it a little worrying how easily people are duped in to either believing it's real or nonsensically implying it must be real (possibly without even viewing it).

It's probably impossible for youtube or other outlets to cut this out totally. Banning accounts may be a start. Maybe news organisations should be able to sue the individuals who do these "stories" more easily.

I hadn't considered fake news to be all that an issue but this is increasingly common. Recently though I am realising more and more that this could actually bad long term if more people believe stuff that just is not real.

It's at the point where it's so often you can't really regulate your feed to totally cut it out anymore.

Maybe we just have to abandon the internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok, I start now and

Don't believe 95% of what you see posted on Facebook. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

! I didn't get it from facebook, it came through my youtube feed.

Read. People need to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

! I didn't get it from facebook, it came through my youtube feed.

Read. People need to read.

People shouldn't believe 95% of what they see on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Breaking news: cover version of Propaganda launched called Fake News. Internet amazed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

jacksie66 wrote: »
    All mainstream news is bollox anyway. All lying, propaganda fueling scum..

That's a bit of a sweeping generalization to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

darkdubh wrote: »

95% so.

That's being fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

At least half of it is baloney. Did you ever notice how bad news always makes the headlines and good news rarely does?

Or maybe mainstream media is just far more likely to report the facts - they may cloak it to suit agendas but they are hardly going to run fake interviews or just make sh!t up, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Or maybe mainstream media is just far more likely to report the facts - they may cloak it to suit agendas but they are hardly going to run fake interviews or just make sh!t up, are they?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Infowars run by Alex Jones is a prime example of fake news. Running "stories" that are nothing more than conspiracy theories. A lot of the time when you see stuff like this turn up on Facebook it's under the headings like "what the mainstream media is afraid to tell you" or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is Facebook truly this bad for this kinna crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

What actually surprised me though was in the comments section most appear to believe it's genuine. :confused:

(link)

In the still before you click play the newsbar at the bottom has been doctored to read "Clinton: Trump will kill us all"

I'm increasingly coming across this and I find it a little worrying how easily people are duped in to either believing it's real or nonsensically implying it must be real (possibly without even viewing it).

I don't know how much it applies to Youtube, but there was a study a while ago that found that 60% of people don't even read the story before they share it/comment angrily on it. They react on headline alone, without seeing the article or even checking which site it came from.

If the video had a still-shot of a headline at the start, it could be the same phenomenon.

It's scary - anyone with an agenda doesn't even have to write a convincing article or build a convincing website, just post a rabble-rousing headline (which can be either misleading, or straight-up lies). How do you combat it though? Education, maybe... But it'll take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm currently re-reading John Simpsons 2009 book "Unreliable sources". It is about the false reporting that was done throughout the 20th century which was done for various reasons including laziness, hidden agendas, financial gain and so on.

What has happened since then and particularly in the last 2-3 years would quite simply blow everything in the book out of the water.

Infowars run by Alex Jones is a prime example of fake news. Running "stories" that are nothing more than conspiracy theories. A lot of the time when you see stuff like this turn up on Facebook it's under the headings like "what the mainstream media is afraid to tell you" or something similar.

I'm telling yeh it's the lizard people!!

People like him have access now to the White House through Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's scary - anyone with an agenda doesn't even have to write a convincing article or build a convincing website, just post a rabble-rousing headline (which can be either misleading, or straight-up lies). How do you combat it though? Education, maybe... But it'll take years.

I agree regarding how easy it is. It is astounding the amount of articles that are obviously coming from a place of extreme bias.

I must admit I do find it somewhat fascinating to observe it. Watching most commentators on Fox News for example I find myself wondering do they truly believe what it is that they are saying.
    Of course, they say the same thing about CNN, MSNBC, and so on but when some of the falsehoods are so easily discounted, I can't believe that they persist.

The narrative is so rigid it is impressive in it's own way. When the senate and congress committees recently announced that Trump towers was not bugged by Obama's administration the way some continued with their story was quite astounding.

Bret Baier, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly for example used phrases like "We have not seen any evidence to prove that Trump was not being wiretapped by Obama" The casual listener could hear this and be swayed in to thinking that the burden of proof was on those who were saying there was no wire-tapping as opposed to those that were saying there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Liberal agendas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

The term 'fake news' is itself a propaganda term. It's used by peddlers of bullshít/propaganda, to try and paint other peoples bullshít, as somehow being less credible than their own brand of bullshít.

Advertisement