Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wtd: Ireland running singlet

Options
  • 18-03-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'm running Boston Marathon next month.

Was hoping to have an Irish top for the event.

Seem to be hard to come by. It doesn't have to be an AI official or anything.

Open to suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm running Boston Marathon next month.

Was hoping to have an Irish top for the event.

Seem to be hard to come by. It doesn't have to be an AI official or anything.

Open to suggestions?

http://icreate.oneills.com/athletics-vests.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Following on from the o neills link but getting something off the shelf and not having to order something customised. Their ireland boxing vests are made from the same material as their athletics singlets

https://www.oneills.com/knockout-boxing-3-stripe-vest-green-wht.html

f1bf78ccf83f407e97b1395db458af9a.png
    ae3eeba35ba740b6b4b007a2e722327b.png
    If you call into their shop close to the longmile road it can probably be picked up cheaper (i.e. <€20)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

muddypaws wrote: »

Sandyford shop is no more, they're all online now. Just in case you were taking a spin out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sandyford shop is no more, they're all online now. Just in case you were taking a spin out

Thanks for that, I hadn't realised, I used to pop in for a browse when I was visiting another business locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

cunavalos wrote:
    Following on from the o neills link but getting something off the shelf and not having to order something customised. Their ireland boxing vests are made from the same material as their athletics singlets

That looks like the job, I'll call over to longmile road And pick one up.

Thanks all.

Wouldn't have thought it would be difficult get one, not many patriots out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Wouldn't have thought it would be difficult get one, not many patriots out there!!

It's not a lack of patriotism.

Official Ireland athletic tops are not for sale, they are reserved purely for athletes who are selected for international competitions. For some reason the idea of replica shirts seems to get completely rejected by athletic governing bodies.

Inofficial shirts are often of questionable quality, hence the reluctance of many runners to even consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In terms of a singlet, it would feel like you are representing your country at an international level. I doubt there are too many people comfortable doing that both on boards and in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Most singlet wearers probably have clubs they're representing, so don't need another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

OP could have Wellesley College in mind and its many ladies. What American woman can resist a sweaty Irish man in a running singlet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just no market in Ireland for it not that you have to earn it. You can get the British one easily. Can even get the British Olympic one on startfitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Official Ireland athletic tops are not for sale, they are reserved purely for athletes who are selected for international competitions. For some reason the idea of replica shirts seems to get completely rejected by athletic governing bodies.

Inofficial shirts are often of questionable quality, hence the reluctance of many runners to even consider them.

Can but the English one no problem and other countries. Just no money in it for Ireland

Official Ireland athletic tops are not for sale, they are reserved purely for athletes who are selected for international competitions. For some reason the idea of replica shirts seems to get completely rejected by athletic governing bodies...

Heading over to UK Fell Running Championships with a couple of other Munster MRA runners in May.

And wondering the same thing. Is it appropriate for us to wear Munster MRA gear. It would be nice, and have no doubt but that the MRA committee would like to see us use them and would prompt queries and a welcome from UK runners...but would also be a little deceptive, as if we were selected to represent. Kinda like all those triathletes who go to international competition draped in the Irish flag as if they were selected.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Can but the English one no problem and other countries. Just no money in it for Ireland

Ok, let me re-pharse that:

For some reason the idea of replica shirts seems to get completely rejected by the Irish athletics governing bodies.

I'm not convinced that there would not be a market for it here in Ireland. The OP's question has been asked plenty of times before, there definitely is some interest.

The AAI seems to regard the top as somewhat sacred. Apparently athletes who receive it are told to only ever to wear in international competitions but never in training or - God forbid! - other races (at least some have been told that). As far as I'm aware, no other governing bodies are anywhere near as touchy about the singlet as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Heading over to UK Fell Running Championships with a couple of other Munster MRA runners in May.

And wondering the same thing. Is it appropriate for us to wear Munster MRA gear. It would be nice, and have no doubt but that the MRA committee would like to see us use them and would prompt queries and a welcome from UK runners...but would also be a little deceptive, as if we were selected to represent. Kinda like all those triathletes who go to international competition draped in the Irish flag as if they were selected.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it...

I have an IMRA singlet that I would wear (unless I was wearing my club singlet) so I would say yes, wear your MMRA singlet.

I have an Ireland singlet and would never wear it in Ireland BUT always wear it when running on holidays abroad.
    The Irish running singlet just doesn't seem to be worn at home, especially not training. You do sometimes see people wearing their Ireland shorts but as TFBubendorfer says it's not encouraged here.
    Seems a waste of an opportunity in these modern replica times, both in terms of income and free advertising but hey, that's the traditiom in running..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The AAI seems to regard the top as somewhat sacred. Apparently athletes who receive it are told to only ever to wear in international competitions but never in training or - God forbid! - other races (at least some have been told that). As far as I'm aware, no other governing bodies are anywhere near as touchy about the singlet as that.

You do see some athletes in the UK national championships, where they should be wearing club colours, wearing their GB or England/ Scotland/ Wales/ NI vests when the event is being used as a selection competition for some big international later in the year. I get the impression that it tends to be the third fastest doing so and not normally the favourite, so is probably due to them trying to influence the selectors a bit to pick them as the wildcard entry as they have some kind of international experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

You could always just buy a Thin Lizzy T Shirt and cut the sleeves off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Advertisement