Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curl retry mechanism

Options
  • 18-03-2017 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I have a script I run to deploy 2 web services and a front-end application. The script calls a method that checks to see if the 2 back-end services are up and running. If so, deem the deploy successful, otherwise revert.

The 2 services sometimes take longer than the front-end to start up. Currently I put in a sleep call to delay the web service check. This allows them time to start up.

I want to remove this sleep and add in a retry mechanism so that if a service is down, just retry the check repeatedly until I get a response.

Tp check if the device is up, I use curl. I've read that curl has a retry mechanism but I've never used it.

Have any of you solved this problem before? I want to understand the things I must consider when solving it, e.g. do I retry until i get a HTTP 200 from my service?

Anyone any suggestions how I'd test this? I'd need to find a service that was down.

Comments

Advertisement