Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad T410 or T510 for college?

Options
  • 18-03-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a laptop for college and was looking through a few threads here. I've seen the Lenovo Thinkpad come up as a recommendation a lot. I had a look around on donedeal and found a guy selling refurbished thinkpads, among other laptops.

I was wondering what your opinion is on buying a refurbished laptop. Are they a waste of time and will I end up buying new one anyway, or would it be reasonable to get 4 or 5 years out of one of these machines? I'll be mainly using it for word processing, social media, music, and maybe a bit of very, very light gaming.

So what do ye think of these?

Lenovo Thinkpad T510

CPU : Intel Core i5-M520 - 2.40Ghz
    RAM : 4GB DDR3
    Display : 15.6-inch HD+ LED-backlit Anti-Glare Display
    Graphics : Intel HD Graphics
    Hard Drive - 160gb
    Running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit but can be downgraded to windows 7 if needed.
    6 month hardware warranty
    €320

or

Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    CPU : Core i5 - 2.40Ghz Processor
    RAM: 4GB (type not specified)
    Display : 14 inch LED Backlight screen (1366x768) HD Anti Glare
    Graphics : Intel HD Graphics
    Hard Drive - 160GB
    Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    6 month hardware warranty
    €300

Here's links to the ads:

www.donedeal.ie/laptops-for-sale/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-laptops-i5-free-delivery/13577509

https://www.donedeal.ie/laptops-for-sale/lenovo-thinkpad-t510-laptops-i5-free-delivery/14309123

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

We have some of the T410s in work and they are beyond awful, even with 8GB RAM. The top end Lenovos are decent but the T410 were bargain basement and are incredibally slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those are ancient laptops, first generation i5's from 2009. For around €350 on laptopsdirect you can get modern 5/6th generation i3 processor based laptops which would be much faster as well as being brand new machines with bigger hard drives/better warranty/etc.

Lighting gaming wise they're not capable of playing anything other than Football Manager or similar low intensity games. Even modern integrated graphics are only suitable for non-intensive games - for playing the latest AAA type games even at lowest settings (say BF1, Infinite Warfare, etc) you would need to be looking at around €600.

On modern integrated graphics (i3 and above) stuff like Fifa, Counter Strike GO and similar are pretty playable but not on those old 1st generation models.

Those T140's would be OK value around €120. €340 is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll be giving them a miss.

Advertisement