Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions that are wrong

Options
  • 17-03-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a conversation with one of the lads the other day, and it got me thinking. We were arguing over an opinion. He was stating that it's an opinion and he can't be wrong because of an opinion. But his opinion was that a cheap mint aero-type bar tasted the same as a proper mint Aero. I cannot see how that can be right, because they didn't even taste similar, they tasted completely different, so his "opinion" is wrong.

So, are there any opinions that you think are wrong? I don't mean actual opinions, where it is open to interpretation. I mean when someone says something and no amount of "opinion" can change the fact that they are wrong. Like the following which i believe are wrong opinions:

Pepsi and Coca Cola taste the same - No, no they do not.
    Dairygold and Kerrygold taste the same - Again, no, far from the truth.
    There's no difference between Barrys and Lyons - So wrong, Barrys is muck.

Actually, they all seem to be taste based... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Diet Coke tastes like licking a two pence coin.

Source : Have licked two pence coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

do you eat with their taste buds? maybe it tastes the same to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

I was having a conversation with one of the lads the other day, and it got me thinking. We were arguing over an opinion. He was stating that it's an opinion and he can't be wrong because of an opinion. But his opinion was that a cheap mint aero-type bar tasted the same as a proper mint Aero. I cannot see how that can be right, because they didn't even taste similar, they tasted completely different, so his "opinion" is wrong.

So, are there any opinions that you think are wrong? I don't mean actual opinions, where it is open to interpretation. I mean when someone says something and no amount of "opinion" can change the fact that they are wrong. Like the following which i believe are wrong opinions:

You realise this is the only part of the OP that will gain any traction in this thread now, right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Stop drinking that pisswater Lyons for a while to let your tastebuds grow back and you'll feel differently about Barry's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Peregrine wrote: »
    Stop drinking that pisswater Lyons for a while to let your tastebuds grow back and you'll feel differently about Barry's.

Bah, feck Barrys and they're badly shaped teabags, it's all about the Pyramid kiiid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

They only taste different to you. If he thinks they are the same then he is right. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Lyons has 0 to do with Ireland now. Packaged by unilever in Manchester. As Irish as Manchester United!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Bah, feck Barrys and they're badly shaped teabags, it's all about the Pyramid kiiid!

Pyramids make feck all diferrence. If you're looking for good teabag design then just get Tetley :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It's a subjective opinion, more of a preference really, so he is right.

If his opinion is based on fact, then he would be wrong. For example if he said that Leitrim are traditionally a better team than Kerry in football he would be wrong.

But if he was to say it's his opinion that strawberry ice cream is better than chocolate, then that's his subjective opinion and he's right as far as his preferences are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

'The food in Lidl and Aldi is muck'.

'Everybody wants to live in Dublin'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Peregrine wrote: »
    Pyramids make feck all diferrence. If you're looking for good teabag design then just get Tetley :P

I would rather drink stale urine than that pisss Tetley.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Red Kev wrote: »

If his opinion is based on fact, then he would be wrong. For example if he said that Leitrim are traditionally a better team than Kerry in football he would be wrong.

But if he was to say it's his opinion that strawberry ice cream is better than chocolate, then that's his subjective opinion and he's right as far as his preferences are concerned.

But can taste vary that much? Can someone really say that Coke and Pepsi taste the same? The same lad goes on about the subtle flavours on fancy dishes, but still insists that the cheap Aero tasted the exact same as the Nestle one, and it just doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Red Kev wrote: »

Subjective opinion is a redundant phrase. And that's a fact.

The main problem is people don't know when to distinguish opinions from facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

An opinion is just a small experience sample from that person's viewpoint.
    How can you say what other people should feel/think. You cannot.

People have different opinions, it diversifies life - it'd be great but pretty boring if everyone thought the same way as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

764dak wrote: »
    Subjective opinion is a redundant phrase. And that's a fact.

Exactly, everyone knows that Lyons is the best tea

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I would rather drink stale urine than that pisss Tetley.

Is this just because it's a protestant tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

764dak wrote: »

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So you're essentially saying that taste is opinion?
    Taste is an highly individual sensation, it's practically impossible to experience someone else's sense of taste. Your opinion that other people's sense of taste is wrong is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

No no, you have it all wrong (in my opinion). This guy's opinion is this:
    ... a cheap mint aero-type bar tasted the same as a proper mint Aero.

Now, you see, there's a flaw... if he had instead said
    a cheap mint aero-type bar tastes the same to me as a proper mint Aero

He'd be bang on. Can't argue with that. But he fckuked up by not structuring his claim properly. So I can say NO! You're bloody wrong mate! Cos you can't generalise taste with a over-reaching statement like that. If we ran a survey across 100 people and X people say the bloody things taste different then you're wrong!

So there you have it. He's wrong. Like all of you. Apart from the OP. And me of course. In my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Jockeys don't make a difference it's all about the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Teabags most likely contain the waste & floor sweepings after the real (loose) tea is packaged.
    Brilliant idea and a promotion for the worker that thought of it first day.
    I'd say he doubled the income of the tea importers.
    Tea bags my arse.
    Real tea for real tea drinkers comes in loose packages, that's why there's strainers in tea pots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

Some even have 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Teabags most likely contain the waste & floor sweepings after the real (loose) tea is packaged.
    Tea bags my arse.
    Real tea for real tea drinkers comes in loose packages, that's why there's strainers in tea pots.

You want someone to tea bag your arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the OP's friend is a smoker then everything tastes the same to him, Mint aero probably tastes the same as cheese and onion crisps so in that case his opinion is correct and yours is also correct. Imagine that, two people with different but correct opinions.

The world is going to explode.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Tea bags my arse.

Similarly white chocolate is just the crap they have left over after they make real chocolate. Whoever came up with the idea of marketing it as actual chocolate was a genius, although the world has no actual need for their "invention".

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

You want someone to tea bag your arse?

Interested in arses now, are we?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"The Beatles were no good"

WRONG

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Mmmmm mint aeros. Haven't had one in years. Totally buying one today.

Seriously though, surely it's down to individual taste buds?! I mean one can't know what something tastes like to someone else. Like if this dude is a smoker or has any nasal issues he may well taste mint, chocolate and think everything mint and chocolate tastes the same.

Totally wrong obvs but maybe not to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The opinion that is wrong is the assertion that these things taste the same.

They don't.

Advertisement