Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any decent doctors in Carlow Town?

Options
  • 16-03-2017 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to find a decent doctor in Carlow but it's incredibly hard. I've rang a few doctors and none of them have any capacity to take me on.

Centric Health in Shamrock Plaza did take me but I've had nothing but bad experiences there. They are constantly down doctors and over booking appointments. So even if you do manage to get an appointment in a day or so you're essentially just showing up to an open surgery waiting 45 minutes to be seen.

How is it this hard for a private patient to find a doctor to take 60 quid for 10 minutes of their time ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I went with dr Doyle on barrack st when I first moved here, was a unthought decision as I had to get to the doctor straight away and at the time he was the only one who could take me.

Wasn't a great experience and I didn't feel overly comfortable so I never went back.

Rang Dr Regina O'Kellys surgery on brown st and have had nothing but excellent care with them. I have been with Dr Fernandez and the nurse I think her name is Aoife? They are brilliant and I've never been waiting more than 10 mins for my appointment. The receptionists are lovely as well. The thing I found with Dr Fernandez is that he takes you seriously and genuinely listens.

Would absolutely recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

+1 on Dr. Regina O'Kelly; I tried to get one of my acquaintances and their family members in there so highly do I sing her & indeed their (Nurse Reddy is top notch also as are those on the Front Desk which makes it all the more embarrassing when I only know one of their names but they all know mine....!) praises but sadly they're not taking on any new patients, private or medical card currently.

They're not the only ones eithers; in total I rang round all 10 or 11 Drs., Surgeries & Medical Centres locally thinking that at least with those who had multiple Drs. there'd be a better chance but out of that I only had 2 possibilities for the people I was seeking to match with a Dr.; Dr. Gallagher & Co. at end of Dublin St. on L.H.S. & Dolmen Med. Centre in the Atrium at Shamrock Plaza but when we called to latter in person (I thought face to face might be a better bet just in case as it's easier to say no to a faceless voice) they do declined the potential client and their adult family.

I'm so glad I got in with Dr. O'Kelly 7 years ago now that I know the situation currently.

Have dealt with Dr. Fernandez (sp?) the Locum Dr. there also & again, along with Dr. O'Kelly herself & Nurse Reddy I can't fault him.

Dr. O'Kelly was absent last time I was in through an injury & there as an Irish Dr. there & he was top dollar also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

No doctors in Carlow are taking on new patients, nor in Athy, Blessington, Castledermot, Stradbally. No waiting lists for them either. If you live in Carlow town you'll have to start ringing GP offices going further south into Carlow.

One place did tell me that the clinic in Dunlavin has just taken on a new GP and is accepting new patients but it was a bit far for me, probably for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Moving to Carlow in the summer, looks like I'll be keeping my Dublin GP for the foreseeable :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Mink wrote: »
    No doctors in Carlow are taking on new patients, nor in Athy, Blessington, Castledermot, Stradbally. No waiting lists for them either. If you live in Carlow town you'll have to start ringing GP offices going further south into Carlow.

One place did tell me that the clinic in Dunlavin has just taken on a new GP and is accepting new patients but it was a bit far for me, probably for you too.

I might keep trying the few good ones mentioned on the town in case there's an opening and stick with Centric Health in the time being. GPs further out wouldn't suit me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

I heard Clayton Medical Hall on the Staplestown road are taking on patients. I'm not with them so can't comment on how good their care is but my sister highly recommends them. Might be worth a try.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I find Dr. O' Toole excellent, I have quite a lot of medical "issues" and she is thorough and professional. She's quite "straight talking," which some people don't like, but I appreciate her honesty and lack of "sugar-coating!"

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

natty_asha wrote: »
    I heard Clayton Medical Hall on the Staplestown road are taking on patients. I'm not with them so can't comment on how good their care is but my sister highly recommends them. Might be worth a try.

Even if you have made an appointment be prepared to be waiting an hour plus at times. So many Doctors come and go at that practice which is not good for patient care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Try Dr. Jacob in Graigecullen. Excellent, but possibly full up

If you do get in there, always try insist on an appointment with Dr. Jacob himself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Try Dr. Jacob in Graigecullen. Excellent, but possibly full up

If you do get in there, always try insist on an appointment with Dr. Jacob himself though.

He's full as of a week ago anyway, he was recommended to me as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement