Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retro parental punishments!

Options
  • 16-03-2017 3:21am

A friend shared today that perhaps parents today should take away their kids' phone chargers, rather than their phones. Made me remember my ma coming into my room after midnight and taking the batteries out of my walkman! (Of course I had spares). They also later took away the long cable that connected the phoneline to the PC. Or took away the controllers from our SNES. When I was 14 and was so obsessed with my pony and not into tech at all, they hid my saddle. I put the bridle on the pony and rode him bareback down to my neighbour's house and borrowed a saddle.

I think kids will be kids and always get the better of their parents... I don't have any kids of my own!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It was the good old wooden spoon with my mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

rode him bareback

Ha ha.

Ha ha.

Wow, I actually never heard a sexual joke made from anything to do with horse riding before! Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

We got walloped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

My parents were very laid back. I can't think of any punishment. I was never grounded or anything like that.

I was an alright kid but we did have a few rows when I was a teenager, nothing that wasn't forgotten 5 minutes later though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Wooden spoon here too.
    I remember a mate saying it was only in later life he actually realised a wooden spoon wasn't just for hitting kids with!

The phrase 'wait til your Dad gets home' was sometimes punishment enough, as you'd probably go straight to your room and cry yourself to sleep in fear of what lay ahead.

Pretty awful sounding, isn't it?
    At the time, I feared my father to some degree, but I nothing short of idolise him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My Mum had this superhuman ability to run after me while simultaneously taking her slipper off! I can still see it now! When she didn't have slippers on, the wooden spoon was always within reach.

Used to work in a supermarket when I was a teenager and you used to see some unbelievable beatings from mothers to their errant kids on a daily basis.

These days either the kids are better behaved or their mothers seem to have more self-control.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My Mum had this superhuman ability to run after me while simultaneously taking her slipper off! I can still see it now! When she didn't have slippers on, the wooden spoon was always within reach.

Used to work in a supermarket when I was a teenager and you used to see some unbelievable beatings from mothers to their errant kids on a daily basis.

These days either the kids are better behaved or their mothers seem to have more self-control.

Ah nothing puts the fear up ya like your mother with a weapon in hand :pac:

Advertisement