Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Cubicle in a Bedroom

Options
  • 15-03-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

I am seeking your advice on whether this situation breaches Building Regulations and/or National Rules for Electrical Installations in Ireland.

The situation arises in an existing house that was constructed in the past 20 years. Are there health and safety issues with this current layout?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RoncoRider wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am seeking your advice on whether this situation breaches Building Regulations and/or National Rules for Electrical Installations in Ireland.

The situation arises in an existing house that was constructed in the past 20 years. Are there health and safety issues with this current layout?

Thanks.

You want to create an ensuite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

What I think the OP seems to be talking about is just a shower standing there in the corner of the bedroom!

I'm not sure if it's existing or proposed though?

As for compliance .... I've no idea ... it seems wrong ... but if it was self contained with its own ceiling, extract fan and door ...

There's no issue that I know of with a sink in a bedroom come to think of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ventilation is the biggest issue and obviously drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RoncoRider

To clarify, the shower is existing and as per Metric Tensor suggested; in the corner of the room. It has standard glass shower doors but no special ceiling or extract fan - just literally standing there in the corner of the bedroom.

As it is existing I am incline to think there are no drainage issues.

Ventilation is an issue but if there was an extract fan installed perhaps this would over come that?

I am also curious about the electrical implications of this arrangement - is the space now deemed a bathroom? If so does health and safety dictate that there should be no electrical sockets or switches allowed in that living space?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

The wiring rules specify zones for baths and showers which include prefabricated shower units.

Zone 2 extends for 600mm around the unit and then Zone 3 extends a further 2400mm.

In Zone 2, no switches or sockets allowed, in Zone 3 switches or sockets are allowed only at SELV (safety extra low voltage <50v)

That has been more or less the case since 1984.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RoncoRider

So beyond 2400 mm (zone 3) ordinary wiring with sockets and switches are acceptable?

RoncoRider wrote: »
    So beyond 2400 mm (zone 3) ordinary wiring with sockets and switches are acceptable?

It's beyond zones 2 and 3 = 3000mm from the shower

Edit: However the lighting circuit must be protected by a separate RCBO in the consumer unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hoagy wrote: »
    It's beyond zones 2 and 3 = 3000mm from the shower

Edit: However the lighting circuit must be protected by a separate RCBO in the consumer unit.

Hoagy: is that RCBO requirement per bathroom or per house: e.g. a house with say 2 ensuites and a main bathroom.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Hoagy: is that RCBO requirement per bathroom or per house: e.g. a house with say 2 ensuites and a main bathroom.
    Thanks as always

It's one per house, all bathroom circuits must be protected by a dedicated RCD.

In practice this means an RCBO for all bathroom lights and another for bathroom heaters, for example.

Hoagy wrote: »
    The wiring rules specify zones for baths and showers which include prefabricated shower units.

Zone 2 extends for 600mm around the unit and then Zone 3 extends a further 2400mm.

In Zone 2, no switches or sockets allowed, in Zone 3 switches or sockets are allowed only at SELV (safety extra low voltage <50v)

That has been more or less the case since 1984.

UPDATE: I had to get the book out to check Calahonda's query and I found this:

"Where a prefabricated shower cabinet is installed in a room other than a bath or shower room, any switches or sockets must be at least 0.6mtrs from the door opening"

Every day is a school day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement