Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair lift providers

Options
  • 15-03-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I need to source a stair lift for a relative. Her staircase has two 90° bends so it will need to go around those. She is quite weak at the moment so the stair lift will have to be powered around curves etc.

What companies have you used and what products did they supply?

Any recommendations or warnings and other general advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My mother insisted on getting one instead of moving down stairs.It got stuck twice.And trying to get her off the chair at the top was very, very nerve racking. They aren't always the magic solution you see on TV. Would there be someone with her to help her on and off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

We got one about 18 months ago from Stannah. We have one 90 degree bend but they can do more. No problems so far. They do a yearly maintenance check on it. It was dear enough at €9000 but don't forget you can claim back the VAT and the balance on Med 1 so that brought it down a fair bit.
    We got a the most powerful one as the user is a large man but for a woman you could probably get a less powerful one which would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thank you both for the input. We ended up going 'reconditioned'. The lift has a battery backup so fingers crossed no hairy moments in the future. I knew about reclaiming the VAT but the Med 1 on the balance hadn't crossed my mind.

Advertisement