Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC subjects!

Options
  • 15-03-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys!
    I have a quick question regarding subject choice for leaving cert. I was wondering if there was any BENEFIT to studying business for the Lc. I am able to see careers with a direct link to accounting and economics. However, I was wondering if business would be a good subject to have done with the intention of studying law at 3rd level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Leaving Certificate forum

dudara

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can't see why it would be. I would have thought the subject most beneficial to Law would be English (and a high level of it).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I would agree re: English.

I would have thought history would be more useful than either economics or accounting tbh; legal interpretation is heavily reliant on precedent, and precedents in turn can be quite heavily influenced by the social and cultural context of the time when the judgement setting the precedent was handed down.

A good recent example of this was in the US when lawyers for the government relied heavily on precedent to justify Trump's travel ban, while lawyers on the other side argued that some of the precedents cited were laid down in a very different society when the US still had racial segregation, and that just as the Jim Crow laws would be viewed as abhorrent by both society and the courts to-day, so should the mindset behind the precedents on which Trump's lawyers were relying.

Advertisement