Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fairway

Options
  • 15-03-2017 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Not starting a club bashing thread here but I have some practical Questions.
    I noticed something after searching an individual that won a major prize in a nationwide event last year. The member was no longer with the club but after searching nearby clubs I saw the name pop up with a couple of abbreviations.
    Does anyone check these individuals?
    Whose job is it to monitor these club hoppers?
    Should the GUI card have a photo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Forgive my ignorance, but why should someone who changes clubs be "monitored" and "checked"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

ronnie3585 wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but why should someone who changes clubs be "monitored" and "checked"?

It's for the small matter of knowing when to clap and not at the monthly prize-giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Let's say you won few big ones and you were cut a lot that year. Nothing to stop you taking an absence of 6mts and signing up in a club nearby handing in 3 bad cards and not mentioning your old club. Who is monitoring that behavior? It would be difficult for a club to be responsible if the guy /girl keeps moving around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Let's say you won few big ones and you were cut a lot that year. Nothing to stop you taking an absence of 6mts and signing up in a club nearby handing in 3 bad cards and not mentioning your old club. Who is monitoring that behavior? It would be difficult for a club to be responsible if the guy /girl keeps moving around.

Who in their right mind would bother with nonsense like that. Pay for a full years subscription, and then not play for half of it!

d2ww wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would bother with nonsense like that. Pay foe a full years supscription, and then not play for half of it!

You think that's crazy! really, with distance membership starts at €150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You won't hear me saying there is no way some twisted individual is out there doing that. But how pathetic would that be? You'd nearly feel sorry for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

You think that's crazy! really, with distance membership starts at €150.

It's as crazy as worrying about it.

Enjoy your game and the craic and if you win the occasional prize then great.

If people want to waste their life moving around clubs trying to sandbag then I feel sorry for them.

stockdam wrote: »
    It's as crazy as worrying about it.

Enjoy your game and the craic and if you win the occasional prize then great.

If people want to waste their life moving around clubs trying to sandbag then I feel sorry for them.

I'm not worried about it, just curious about who is monitoring it.
    Having a campaign to stomp out cheating is nothing short of a dog and pony show if nobody is checking this aspect.
    Also I'm less inclined to to play in non gui events as long at this loop hole is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I'm not worried about it, just curious about who is monitoring it.
    Having a campaign to stomp out cheating is nothing short of a dog and pony show if nobody is checking this aspect.
    Also I'm less inclined to to play in non gui events as long at this loop hole is still available.

Well you must be worried about it enough to post. If you have any evidence then let your handicap committee know.

stockdam wrote: »
    Well you must be worried about it enough to post. If you have any evidence then let your handicap committee know.

The post is not about a particular person but that's how the question started.
    The question was do you think there should be a photo on your GUI card?
    It's writen in bold on the original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

The post is not about a particular person but that's how the question started.
    The question was do you think there should be a photo on your GUI card?
    It's writen in bold on the original post.

OP you're a perfect example of why this handicap initiative has been put in place.

To answer your question it's the players own responsibility and that is the message that the GUI are trying to get across.

In other words, any deviation from playing to the best of your ability is cheating, actively seeking to manipulate your handicap in any way is also cheating.

OP you're a perfect example of why this handicap initiative has been put in place.

To answer your question it's the players own responsibility and that is the message that the GUI are trying to get across.

In other words, any deviation from playing to the best of your ability is cheating, actively seeking to manipulate your handicap in any way is also cheating.

Your a funny one hoof not biting though.

There are plenty of threads where guys comment about bandits and non sanctioned GUI events.
    Could more be done? Sounds like we're happy enough that's all I wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Your a funny one hoof not biting though.

There are plenty of threads where guys comment about bandits and non sanctioned GUI events.
    Could more be done? Sounds like we're happy enough that's all I wanted to know.

If I'd a euro for every time I was gullible enough to believe the unsubstantiated rumors in those threads, I'd be a multi billionaire a hundred times over, but meh if you prefer to believe that sort of thing, that's your own business, horses for course I guess,

A word to the wise though, it's only makes the person who repeats that nonsense sound silly, you don't want to sound silly now, do ya?:pac:

A word to the wise though, it's only makes the person who repeats that nonsense sound silly, you don't want to sound silly now, do ya?

No nonsense on OP'S behalf. I've seen a good 4 handicapper move club within 40km to start his new year on 13.
    Won the captains and proceeded to be banned for 3 months by GUI for not submitting a 43 point card only to brag in clubhouse.

It goes on. I hit 42 points off 14 1 day I thought I'd won the Lotto. These boys, everyday occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

No nonsense on OP'S behalf. I've seen a good 4 handicapper move club within 40km to start his new year on 13.
    Won the captains and proceeded to be banned for 3 months by GUI for not submitting a 43 point card only to brag in clubhouse.

It goes on. I hit 42 points off 14 1 day I thought I'd won the Lotto. These boys, everyday occurrence.

Out of your average club of, l dunno, say, 500 members, how many of these players do we really think there are ? (Either the guy moving club and getting 9 extra shots, or the guy who shoots 42pts every day).
    No rules set up or system will catch absolutely everyone who is determined to gain an unfair advantage. IMO at some point we'll reach (or have reached) the point of diminishing returns when it comes to making up rules to catch so called handicap cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Russman wrote: »
    Out of your average club of, l dunno, say, 500 members, how many of these players do we really think there are ? (Either the guy moving club and getting 9 extra shots, or the guy who shoots 42pts every day).
    No rules set up or system will catch absolutely everyone who is determined to gain an unfair advantage. IMO at some point we'll reach (or have reached) the point of diminishing returns when it comes to making up rules to catch so called handicap cheats.

I agree. I don't think it's as big a problem as some say. In my club, the winners of the competitions are mostly spread out. You get lads having a purple patch and they win a bit or are placed but I don't see the same lads winning with big scores and them not been cut.

Maybe it's different in other course or I'm not aware of it at mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

Does anyone check these individuals?
    Whose job is it to monitor these club hoppers?
    Should the GUI card have a photo?

Check them for what ? Even if there is something iffy about them, anyone with their wits about them will never say anything negative about someone for fear of legal action.

How would you monitor these club hoppers ? Again, for what ? If they have a good score ? Someone has a good score every week.

What use would a photo have ? I doubt there are many people entering competitions using someone else's card, of course there could be a few, but really, is it that big a problem ? (Maybe it is, I just doubt it, someone always knows someone who knows)
    It's for the small matter of knowing when to clap and not at the monthly prize-giving.
    So, who do you clap for at a prize giving then ? Someone who is acceptable ? And what's acceptable ? You said yourself you had 42pts one time and were delighted (and rightly so, it's a super score), would you have liked it if nobody clapped or there were whispers about you after returning a score like that ? That's not having a go at you, just using the score as an example.

Look, I know there are p1$$ takers out there, but f--k sake lads, they're a tiny, tiny minority. I think or assume most clubs have a rule that new members can't win the Captains and/or some other big prizes in their first year, IMO any further restrictions than that and new members won't bother joining.

Rant over :)

Edit: some of that reads a bit harshly, not my intention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Happy Paddy' day. :D

There was a good idea put up before by mike.

Your GUI should be a unique number and with you for life.

It is not that difficult an idea.

Russman wrote:
    So, who do you clap for at a prize giving then ? Someone who is acceptable ? And what's acceptable ? You said yourself you had 42pts one time and were delighted (and rightly so, it's a super score), would you have liked it if nobody clapped or there were whispers about you after returning a score like that ? That's not having a go at you, just using the score as an example.

I know:-)
    I didn't feature.
    Still beat my best by 4.
    Reflects worse on me I know but that ****er comes out smiling?
    Then it's wrong.

Happy Paddy' day. :D

There was a good idea put up before by mike.

Your GUI should be a unique number and with you for life.

It is not that difficult an idea.

Steaming!! A good sign!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement