Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle carrier on btw scheme,is it allowed??

Options
  • 15-03-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Am looking at getting a bike and helmet, lock etc on btw scheme..
    There is a thule towbar cycle carrier i like for 250 euros at the store i am getting evrrything from.
    Someone said that would not be covered in btw...i only want it for the times its good in the morn to bike to work but horrendus in evenings going home.
    I can leave carrier at work and attach toworkmates tow bar who lives same way i do if need be.
    Would they flag this?? It is afterall a cycle accesorie.
    Anyone know? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Am looking at getting a bike and helmet, lock etc on btw scheme..
    There is a thule towbar cycle carrier i like for 250 euros at the store i am getting evrrything from.
    Someone said that would not be covered in btw...i only want it for the times its good in the morn to bike to work but horrendus in evenings going home.
    I can leave carrier at work and attach toworkmates tow bar who lives same way i do if need be.
    Would they flag this?? It is afterall a cycle accesorie.
    Anyone know? Thanks

In a word, no it is not eligible. From http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-definition.html#section6.6
    Qualifying bicycles/safety equipment

The exemption covers pedal bicycles and tricycles, and pedelecs (an electrically assisted bicycle which requires some effort on the part of the cyclist in order to effect propulsion). It does not cover motorbikes, scooters or mopeds.

The following safety equipment is also covered by the exemption:

Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    • Bells and bulb horns
    • Lights, including dynamo packs
    • Mirrors and mudguards to ensure rider's visibility is not impaired
    • Cycle clips and dress guards
    • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    • Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    • Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    • Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

As to whether "they" would flag this, depends on the parties involved in the transaction, but advocating tax evasion (which availing of a relief to which one is not entitled, as this would be) is a no-go on boards AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Ok, will get a cheapy secondhand carrier and put abit more toward bike. Cheers

Advertisement