Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC subject choice advice

Options
  • 15-03-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi my daughter is in TY and is picking her subjects for LC. Advice from the school is to pick what you like but she doesn't like alot of the subjects so she has to pick what she thinks she can do well in. She's trying to decide between Biology and Physics for her science choice and also between Geography and Social/Scientific.

She doesn't do great at having to learn vast volumes of information so is a bit wary of Biology and even though she has an interest in Physics she got a C in Higher Maths in the JC (she didnt have a great teacher though) and will probably do ordinary level maths for LC . Is Physics doable if you're average at maths? The LC Physics teacher is excellent and the class is small so that would be advantage.

Also I've heard that Geography is a lot more difficult than people think and can be tough going so maybe social/scientific would be better?
    Any advice from people who have done these subjects would be great, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Jamboat wrote: »
    Hi my daughter is in TY and is picking her subjects for LC. Advice from the school is to pick what you like but she doesn't like alot of the subjects so she has to pick what she thinks she can do well in. She's trying to decide between Biology and Physics for her science choice and also between Geography and Social/Scientific.

She doesn't do great at having to learn vast volumes of information so is a bit wary of Biology and even though she has an interest in Physics she got a C in Higher Maths in the JC (she didnt have a great teacher though) and will probably do ordinary level maths for LC . Is Physics doable if you're average at maths? The LC Physics teacher is excellent and the class is small so that would be advantage.

Also I've heard that Geography is a lot more difficult than people think and can be tough going so maybe social/scientific would be better?

I would advise not dropping to OL maths at the start and to try it out at least. With the way the new points system goes she's better off staying at HL if she got a C for the JC.
    Also I would suggest that she look at the statistics of the grades the subjects have. Physics has a better A grade than Biology every year. So if the physics teacher is supposed to be good I'd suggest going with physics, especially if she doesn't like memorising because that's basically all you do in biology.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Is social scientific Home Ec?

Honestly, I'd advise avoiding geography. It is marked very hard (because it used to be thought of as an easy A) and it seems to just be an extension of the JC syllabus. Very few people I've spoken to enjoy it as a subject and it involves mainly learning off essays word for word. Take this with a pinch of salt though because I don't do geography!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Jamboat wrote: »

Definitely going OL Maths is of no disadvantage for HL Physics. The maths in Physics is all just using and rearranging formulas! With a good teacher your daughter won't have any trouble!

That being said I'd agree with the above poster and say to do HL Maths (at least for 5th year). A C grade in HL maths is actually a good grade and if she got a C in LC Maths at HL it'd be the equivalent of a H4 (60-69%) and that's worth 91 points which is huge. It's definitely worth the effort.

I love Geography but if you don't like learning off essays and answers it's definitely not the subject for you. From what I've heard though, Home-Ec can be quite tough on the learning aspect too.. so I'm not really sure what to advise you on there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Physics course can be done by a good teacher by Jan of 6th yr. Way easier for a dedicated student. Keep HL maths going those bonus points are very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Ya, if you're not a fan of learning a haype of stuff off by heart, you probably won't like biology.

If you got a C in JC HL Maths then you should be grand for physics, it's mostly plugging numbers into formulas, the only bit that's tricky is knowing which formula to use and when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

Most of physcis is learning and understanding. The maths aspect isn't that complicated and is mostly subbing numbers into formulas.

Advertisement