Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connect smart tv to sky+

Options
  • 14-03-2017 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi,i bought a new telly today (lg 43"smart )the thing is,my sky+ box was connected to the old tv by a scart,but the new tv has no place to plug a scart lead into. what kind of cable do i need to connect the two devices now.?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭glaswegian

thanks,is it as simple as that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Probably not

If it's a sky+ box it won't even have a HDMI out on the box itself

Is it grey? Like this one?

http://files.site-fusion.co.uk/webfusion89808/image/sky_plus_boxpvr3.jpg

Easiest option is to call sky and get a sky+hd (or even sky q) box from them. They shouldn't be a problem to get for nothing or almost nothing

Even if you had some way of connecting a scary it'd look rubbish on a shiny new hd tv anyway :)

Probably not

If it's a sky+ box it won't even have a HDMI out on the box itself

Is it grey? Like this one?

http://files.site-fusion.co.uk/webfusion89808/image/sky_plus_boxpvr3.jpg

Easiest option is to call sky and get a sky+hd (or even sky q) box from them. They shouldn't be a problem to get for nothing or almost nothing

Even if you had some way of connecting a scary it'd look rubbish on a shiny new hd tv anyway :)

Thanks,it's a black sky +hd box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

glaswegian wrote: »
    Thanks,it's a black sky +hd box.

Happy days! HDMI all the way so

Don't spend mad money (i.e more than €10) on 'premium' HDMI cables btw they carry digital signals so they're pretty much the same :)

• Advertisement

Happy days! HDMI all the way so

Don't spend mad money (i.e more than €10) on 'premium' HDMI cables btw they carry digital signals so they're pretty much the same :)

I am at the minute untangling all the wire coming out the back of the sky box,DVD /surround sound box,the DVD was also connected to the TV by scary.would I be able to connect the DVD to the sky box with the scart lead? There is also a cable with 3 coloured wires( green red and blue) there is a place to plug them into on the back of the TV but the letters on the wires aren't the same as on the tv.

I am at the minute untangling all the wire coming out the back of the sky box,DVD /surround sound box,the DVD was also connected to the TV by scary.would I be able to connect the DVD to the sky box with the scart lead? There is also a cable with 3 coloured wires( green red and blue) there is a place to plug them into on the back of the TV but the letters on the wires aren't the same as on the tv.

Apologies for all the questions,but it's been a long time since I connected all of this and the new TV having different connections kinda through a spanner in the works.
    Cheers.

Now have sky box connected to the TV by hdmi,and it won't tune in for some reason 😡Where am I going wrong?

Now have sky box connected to the TV by hdmi,and it won't tune in for some reason 😡Where am I going wrong?

Have sattelite tuned in,don't know how but it's there.just the three coloured cables from the DVD player.can I plug them into the TV or can they be connected to the sky box via one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭decor58

glaswegian wrote:
    Have sattelite tuned in,don't know how but it's there.just the three coloured cables from the DVD player.can I plug them into the TV or can they be connected to the sky box via one of these?

You don't have to tune in the sky box, just go to hdmi on the source button. Connect your dvd to the tv, note the source label on the back of the set, the only unit worth connecting to the sky box is an audio unit, surround sound, sound bar, etc.
    The connection in your photo is generally for a Pc.

• Advertisement

decor58 wrote: »
    You don't have to tune in the sky box, just go to hdmi on the source button. Connect your dvd to the tv, note the source label on the back of the set, the only unit worth connecting to the sky box is an audio unit, surround sound, sound bar, etc.
    The connection in your photo is generally for a Pc.

Thanks,the connector in the photo is what was used to connect the DVD to the old TV. The three coloured wires in the photo's are plugged in to this,but the new TV has no connection port for it.
    My question is,can I disconnect the coloured wires from this and connect them into the jacks on the back of the TV even if the numbers on the wires don't correspond with the numbers on the jacks?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭decor58

If this plug is being used as an adapter then you can disconnect the three coloured cables and plug it straight into the tv using a combination of the red, white and yellow connections on the tv. If the cables are not red white and yellow, check which one is connected to the video output on your dvd and connect it to the yellow connection on you tv, the other two colours should be audio left and right.

thanks decor58 and all,i have the coloured wires connected now and everything is working fine.
    regards.

Advertisement