Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my macbook sounds like it's going to take off

Options
  • 14-03-2017 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Every so often the fans in my macbook pro sound like they're on turbo. The sounds doesn't really bother me I just want to know if it's hurting my mac at all. Should I be worried it's dying?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How old is it?

It usually means the system is hot, and is approaching the upper temperature limits of what it deems acceptable so it throttles the fan(s) up to max.

I would think this is an issue that could get worse if not looked at. There could be a number of things preventing the laptop from cooling as it did originally. Sometimes it's merely that dust has gotten into the fan ducts which blocks it somewhat. It could also be that the laptop need thermal paste on the CPU to be reapplied. A failing fan could also cause these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

its 5 yrs old... where should i go to get it looked at? preferably in dublin city centre or south dublin.

Advertisement