Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language Badges

Options
  • 14-03-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

We want to add to the name badges, the country flag depicting the languages the person can speak.
    E.g. French and German flags if they speak French and German.

Any ideas what would be suitable for speaking English? Can't use Irish tricolour as that will be used for an Irish speaker.
    The Union Flag would be too controversial no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Use the Union flag amigo :) ... nothing controversial about it these days especially if your event is in Southern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I always find the use of the UK flag clumsy and plain wrong.
    The language is called english, the international code for the language is EN whereas UK is GB (so english uk windows is EN_GB), so the flag of England really would be applicable

but seriously, in hospitality services (using, not working in!) on the continent I've seen various combinations of US, UK or a half half of both to denote that someone speaks english and seeing as the majority of english speakers come from those 2 lands, in that context it makes sense.

maybe a compromise in an irish setting would be half of an irish flag / half US flag and in reality thats the way things are going with the english language in Ireland with every snowflake nowadays going to the rest room to powder their nose before announcing their awesome vacation plan with chutzpath to the schmucks that they work with. I really hate on that, if I could care less, looooike.

There was a girl on the Clare Byrne show the other day and I actually thought she was a yank until her D4 accent managed to break through the US accent that she was putting on / caught like a bad dose from watching too much of the Kardashians.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps follow the duolingo model. This has famous landmarks in the place of flags: eg Eiffel Tower for French.
    Not sure what the English landmark is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

On Duolingo, Statue of Liberty for English.

Advertisement