Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body mod reception?

Options
  • 14-03-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all, I'm moving to Ireland to do a PhD in history at Trinity this autumn. I have tattoos and brands from collar to wrist, and a head and finger tattoo that can be covered with hair and a ring respectively. I also have a septum and vertical labret piercing.
    How much difficulty will I have with the reception of my appearance in Dublin and surrounding towns? Will it be difficult to secure accommodation or get a part-time job? I was thinking of dreading my hair as well, but would that push me past the point of irrespectable?
    Any advice appreciated. I'm 30 years old and the mother of a toddler, if that affects anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

HOw does it affect you now? same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BlowInYank

Well, I live in a suburb of a major east coast city in the States. In the city no one looks twice at me, but I get some strange looks and get followed around in shops in the countryside. Presumably the same for Dublin versus other counties? I'm going to live in Carlowtown with friends, is it provincial there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

BlowInYank wrote: »
    Well, I live in a suburb of a major east coast city in the States. In the city no one looks twice at me, but I get some strange looks and get followed around in shops in the countryside. Presumably the same for Dublin versus other counties? I'm going to live in Carlowtown with friends, is it provincial there?

Carlow is fine, 3 or 4 parlours iirc and a piercing place where I got 20+ done

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Same as everywhere really, loads of people won't bat an eyelid, or will gaze enviously at the piercings/tattoos (I know I do at times)
    Then there'll be the old-fashioned folks that don't understand such things, and will feel the need to comment, be that to your face/behind your back/not directly to you, but where they know you'll hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BlowInYank

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

People will be allot more interested in how you are as a person... Carlow is a great place. I lived there for 4 years while studying, but it's a good distance from Dublin, I wouldn't like to be doing that commute...

As for getting accommodation, it's difficult to find places in Dublin, it's competitive & expensive... They'll want to know if you have the resources to pay the rent & that you'll treat the place properly rather than whether you have tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

BTW... If you're going with dreads, you'll fit in perfectly in Galway... Bleedin' hippies!

Advertisement