Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First half marathon?

Options
  • 14-03-2017 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I'm a fairly recent convert to regular running (probably a familiar pattern - did C25K a few times previously, then got out of the habit, but have been running low mileage fairly regularly for about a year now) and in the last 3 months have really started to get a bit more into it (running 5 days a week and really enjoying it) but still only about 20 miles a week, and very slow!
    I've been reading lots of the posts on here and finding them very motivating! Anyway I'd like to aim for a half marathon I think, probably some time in the second half of the year (August/September ish, but flexible). I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a good one to aim for, for a beginner? I'm based in Dublin so local would be handy, but the Dublin Race Series half is out for me because I'll be away, and the Rock n Roll half looks fairly hilly?

Also wondering about a good training plan? I've used Hal Higdon's plans for shorter distances (currently nearing the end of his 5k intermediate to try and gain a little bit of speed), but he has quite a few for the HM distance and I don't know which would be the most appropriate. So again, any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

I know they're probably "how long is a piece of string" questions, but would welcome any input! Love reading all the advice on here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Other more experienced people might be able to recommend but for me I did rock n roll as my first one and yes it has a couple of hilly sections but the key for me was it was near where i lived so i could train part of it or knew the course. Also it made it handy on the day for getting to and from etc.

Pick a date that suits / course you would feel comfortable and get a good solid block of training in. If possible try and do a 10k race before as well.

Best of luck and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I did rock and roll last year as my first half marathon - it was hilly but because of all thats going on around you it distracts you..

its a lot more distracting than any other half marathon i've ran since..

- by the way, if you're running 20 miles a week you adapt to HM distance in a few weeks no bother to you, slow the pace and take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cporto

Thanks both of you! That's great to hear that you both did it as your first half. How did you find the experience? And what training plan did you follow?
    Good point about being able to train along the same route too - I hadn't thought of that!
    Thanks,
    Claire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

cporto wrote: »
    Thanks both of you! That's great to hear that you both did it as your first half. How did you find the experience? And what training plan did you follow?
    Good point about being able to train along the same route too - I hadn't thought of that!
    Thanks,
    Claire

I followed https://my.asics.com

I liked it because I was new to running and it gave me guideline paces to run at for all my runs...

The run itself is one of the best organised I've been at except for pre race transport.. getting down to the point was tricky because the shuttle bus information wasn't the best and the luas was jammed - I didn't mind the jammed luas but a lot of others were a bit precious..

Post race there is a shuttle bus that takes you to the front gate of phoenix park which is handy but you've still to get home from there..

There is a band every mile and loads of motivational posters dotted around the place including a favourite of mine in phoenix park saying "yeah, its a hill, get over it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

jameshayes wrote: »

When I enter my details on Chrome, I'm too young to get a plan - I don't meet 'minimum age' requirements :eek:

I might set a calendar reminder to try it weekly to remind myself I'm not quite over the hill :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 cporto

Well I've officially decided to give it a go now - discounted entry today made it hard to pass up! Thanks for the encouragement :) Now to start training...

Advertisement