Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Whitlock 1931-2017 RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Passed away today at the age of 86. One of the sports most profilic record breakers and a huge source of inspiration and awe among athletics circles and the oldest man to ever run sub-3 for the marathon at age 73 among many more frankly amazing performances.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2017/03/running-legend-ed-whitlock-dead-age-86/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Goes to show how vulnerable the human body is as it gets older - its a surprise to me that he could be running every day of the week, doing a 3:50 marathon in October and dying one assumes of natural causes 6 months later.

He's an inspiration and a boundary breaker; I would guess there will be in many more Ed Whitlocks running marathons into their '80s in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Goes to show how vulnerable the human body is as it gets older - its a surprise to me that he could be running every day of the week, doing a 3:50 marathon in October and dying one assumes of natural causes 6 months later.

He's an inspiration and a boundary breaker; I would guess there will be in many more Ed Whitlocks running marathons into their '80s in years to come.

At that age men tend to die 'with' prostate cancer rather than die 'of' it, i.e. it's just an inconvenient-but-localised problem.

He'll remain quite an inspiration: to run sub-3 hrs in one's 70's and sub-4s in one's 80's are going to force race organisers to rethink their category prizes and their race entry criteria. A fantastic athlete.

Advertisement