Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time insurance for 30 year old?

Options
  • 13-03-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Lived in a city for my 20's. Never needed a car. That's changed now.

What sort of quotes should i expect? I've tried using some of the online calculators to give an estimation and some have thrown back a 'sorry no insurance for you'. Which is scary.

Am I completely ****ed here? Is it that hard to get insured first time if you're 30?

I've driven rentals for years. I doubt they care about that, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Smyth wrote: »

What sort of quotes should i expect? I've tried using some of the online calculators to give an estimation and some have thrown back a 'sorry no insurance for you'. Which is scary.

Am I completely ****ed here? Is it that hard to get insured first time if you're 30?

You've summed up the situation quite well.

You're basically at stage 0. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You should be slightly better off than new drivers at 20, and things could improve dramatically year over year, provided that you're claim free.
    Very important to have the right car, I think. Something under 1400cc, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

JoyPad wrote: »
    You should be slightly better off than new drivers at 20, and things could improve dramatically year over year, provided that you're claim free.
    Very important to have the right car, I think. Something under 1400cc, maybe?

I'll have a look at something like that. Picked out a cheapish car on carzone and rang liberty (only place open after 6)

5900. Nearly had a heart attack. I'll do my calls tomorrow. I was expecting around 2-3k?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 science101

im 29, ill be 30 this month and i only got insurance first time ever last in February, im on a learner permit, i got a 02D 1 litre car, insurance is 3k in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

what year car did you get. cant be any older that 15 years. The newer the car the better chance you have of getting cheap car insurance. makes no sense but them the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

3k for a 30 year old, ffs! best of luck op

science101 wrote: »
    im 29, ill be 30 this month and i only got insurance first time ever last in February, im on a learner permit, i got a 02D 1 litre car, insurance is 3k in Dublin

Who'd you go with?
    what year car did you get. cant be any older that 15 years. The newer the car the better chance you have of getting cheap car insurance. makes no sense but them the rules.

It was a 2012 Corsa. 1.2 petrol. 45000 miles

Maybe they just really hate first timers. Or should I go even small with the engine? I thought that car was pretty conservative. I've gotta do 300km on the motorway every other week. Would a 1L cut it?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    3k for a 30 year old, ffs! best of luck op

Thanks. I need it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 science101

i checked a few and axa was the cheapest, if you are outside of dublin it will be cheaper, i was looking at a 1.2L and it would of cost me another 500 in insurance so didnt bother, my parents live down in wicklow, insurance would of been around 2.5k then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Check theaa.ie and Postinsurance.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Try Boxymo, there have been a couple of posters in here that wouldn't be "young" drivers and got relatively reasonable quotes from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

science101 wrote: »

Mine was similar on 1litre, and then the price was halved on renewal after a year claim free.
    Crazy prices but once you demonstrate you're a safe driver the price will go down gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Padraig1888

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Try Boxymo, there have been a couple of posters in here that wouldn't be "young" drivers and got relatively reasonable quotes from them.

I went with them. Started driving at 36 and got it for €1,300. They have the box that tracks your mileage etc. But ideal for starting out.

The thing about the older cars makes sense in that it's always the older cars involved in the scam crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Moved abroad for a few years. 20+ years driving experience came home and as it was over two years had to start again from 0.

40 years old 1.6tdi golf was struggling to get quotes but eventually got cover for €1,100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

This post has been deleted.

Got quoted through Alliance as my wife had her car insured with them and had me as a named driver. She had kept a car in Ireland for a while after we moved and was back a couple of months before me so she had renewed before her 2 years were up and kept her no claims..

I went with them. Started driving at 36 and got it for €1,300. They have the box that tracks your mileage etc. But ideal for starting out.

The thing about the older cars makes sense in that it's always the older cars involved in the scam crashes.

I can't get a quote off them on their site. How did you manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Padraig1888

I can't get a quote off them on their site. How did you manage that?

Not sure what their criteria is, just know the car can't be over 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Similar situation here myself. Have had my provisional licence for over 10 years , just never bothered with it and lived in cities and now trying as a 30 year old to get insured on a 1.1 2006 car and quotes coming in from 2.5K to 5K.

10 years ago when i was thinking about getting a car at the time I was getting quoted 800-1200e! Absolute madness.

Should I just try and pass my test getting lessons and wait until then to buy a car? Cant get insured on any family vehicles before anyone suggests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

scrumqueen wrote: »

Should I just try and pass my test getting lessons and wait until then to buy a car? Cant get insured on any family vehicles before anyone suggests it.

That's what I am trying to do. I have been doing 2 hours per week in lessons. It is definitely a pain not getting to practice in between but I have a great instructor and hoping I can do enough to pass.

I have my test date for next month and if I don't pass then I will most likely buy the car and fork out on the ridiculous insurance. I think that if I take out insurance as a learner and pass subsequently then I may get some kind of refund back on the insurance but not sure about that

• Advertisement
Advertisement