Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating protected by B10 10a breaker

Options
  • 13-03-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

Our oil central heating system in our house is protected only by a B10 10a MCB breaker in the CU only .. no spur with a 3a fuse in it anywhere not near the time clock or anywhere in the system ....

Should i be concerned? - everything on the system like clock/roomstat boiler ect says "protect with a 3amp Fuse"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Is there no spur beside the time clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Is there no spur beside the time clock?

nope

so are we talking something like over 2400w to trip that 10a breaker? - even at 3amp that will not blow until its over 720w basing if the voltage is 240v - i think i have that right. I timesed the amperage by 240

easiest thing to do would be to swap out the B10 in the CU for a B3 3amp breaker wouldnt it, but I am not allowed to do that as a consumer am I?

Even then the breaker would only be single pole 3a - arent you supposed to have 3amp DP switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

the purpose of the circuit breaker in the consumer board is to protect the wiring not what is connected to it.
    The correct solution is to get the proper protection/fuses fitted

• Advertisement

TPM wrote: »
    the purpose of the circuit breaker in the consumer board is to protect the wiring not what is connected to it.
    The correct solution is to get the proper protection/fuses fitted

.. ok, so should I be concerned that the low power items are connected to a 10a breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

.. ok, so should I be concerned that the low power items are connected to a 10a breaker?

Only if you're been electrocuted.

Tom44 wrote: »
    Only if you're been electrocuted.

You would still be electrocuted the same because its an mcb breaker not an RCD/rccb/rcbo.

So looking at it logically you more than likely have a 0.5mm or 0.75mm light duty flex running through the heating system (wiring to time switches, roomstats , zone valves etc) and if its protected by a heavier 10a breaker then could that mean if there is a short or malfunction on the heating system could the wiring overheat and possibly catch fire before tripping the 10amp MCB? Its a possibility isn't it?

Advertisement