Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim taking ages!

Options
  • 13-03-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

So my car was written off in late December, contacted my insurance that day to let them know and then the guy who crashed into me admitted liability the next day. All perfect, thought this would mean it'd be sorted fairly quickly.

My car was worth around 9k, their first offer was €6500 which I (obviously) said no to, this was on January 20th. I rang multiple times and got told there's no update so I passed it onto my solicitor and there's still been nothing.

Is this the usual? I'd understand if it was a big claim but it's such a small amount I can't understand the hold up

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hire a claims assessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Throwaway3754

Hire a claims assessor.

Yes I did all that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Similer situation, My car was wrote off when I was rear ended, they offered a fraction of the cost of buying the same car and took over a year.

But I gave up and finally accepted a lower offer as your insurance is blocked while a claim is ongoing.
    Hopefully you won't have as much trouble as my car was very rare at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

So, where is the log jam? They offered €6,500, you want €9,000. You engaged your own assessor and nothing has moved along? Did your assessor provide the insurer with appropriate samples to substantiate your claim?

If you can't back up your valuation, the insurer will only bend a couple of hundred Euro at most

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

There's a big gap on value there. You should scour ads to find cars similar age, mileage and spec and send those in. It's up to you to prove the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Throwaway3754

Thanks for the replies!
    The insurance wouldn't budge off €6750 so I said no and asked for them to put a car in my drive away of the very same model, year, spec etc.
    Brought their offer up to €8180

All sorted now 😄

Advertisement