Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most needed road schemes (March 2017)

Options
  • 12-03-2017 10:36pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Post what you believe to be the ten most important road schemes (schemes now, the N24 is not a scheme N24 Pallasgreen-Cahir is one) in Ireland right now.

Any scheme planned scheme not already started is welcome. The ones programmed to begin in 2018/19 are also welcome, just don't include any under construction (M17/M18, M11 Enniscorthy or N25 New Ross).

I'll total them at the end and see what the general consensus is (10 points for most needed, 1 point for 10th most needed)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Outer M50 coast to coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Being a Limerick man, mine are biased towards the Limerick/Munster area. Number 1 and 2 should be done first. No real preference to the order after that. I'm leaving out schemes that are already started/funded/advanced planning stage, such as the Limerick to Foynes road/Adare bypass, and Dunkette interchange.
    1. Limerick - Cork motorway (Preference to M20 over other routes).
    2. North Limerick distributor/circular road, from Coonagh to Parteen to Annacotty/Lisnagry. Allow access to UL from the north side of Limerick
    3. Upgrade N24 from M7 to Boher to dual carriageway/Motorway. Plenty of space to upgrade this section.
    4. New N24/M24 route from Boher to Cahir, possibly further. I'm not familiar with the road after Cahir
    5. New bridge/crossing at Killaloe.
    6. Full ring-road around Cork.
    7. New route from Naas to Clane to Maynooth to Dunboyne to North Swords.
    8. Upgrade where both the M8 and M9 merge onto the M7 to allow traffic merge in the Limerick direction
    9. New motorway down the centre of the Island, from Kilkenny-Portlaoise-Mullingar-Cavan-Omagh-Letterkenny/Derry (Brexit border dependant)
    10. Upgrade Limerick - Shannon N18 to motorway. A nice to have from this would be removing the Toll from the Limerick Tunnel

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Please feel free to include schemes in the Capital Investment Plan / schemes that are supposedly funded.

Just because FG say they are going to be built proves nothing. The government could collapse tomorrow and the funding removed. Remember that the M20 was planned to open by 2015 in times gone by.

Include any scheme you want aside from the M17/M18, M11 Enniscorthy Bypass and the N25 New Ross bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

marno21 wrote: »
    Post what you believe to be the ten most important road schemes (schemes now, the N24 is not a scheme N24 Pallasgreen-Cahir is one) in Ireland right now.

Any scheme planned scheme not already started is welcome. The ones programmed to begin in 2018/19 are also welcome, just don't include any under construction (M17/M18, M11 Enniscorthy or N25 New Ross).

I'll total them at the end and see what the general consensus is (10 points for most needed, 1 point for 10th most needed)

1. M20 cork to limerick
    2. Galway ring road
    3. Delvin to Mullingar
    4. N5 Strokestown to Frenchpark
    5. Athlone to Birr
    6. Ballyboffey bypass Donegal
    7. N4 Sligo DC from Colooney

From my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Carrick-on-Shannon bypass!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's got the OK. Just a few objections held it up but I'm sure it's funded, designed and ready to start. Sooner the better. It's badly needed, especially here in O Briens Bridge..
    Just to clarify, anything without diggers on the ground is eligible. Nothing is fully funded bar the three PPPs at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Road Priorities
    1. M20 Cork - Limerick
    2. M28 Cork - Ringaskiddy
    3. M8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange
    4. M40 Cork Northern Ring
    5. M6 Galway Outer Ring
    6. M22 Ovens to Macroom
    7. M21/N69 Limerick-Rathkeale-Foynes
    8. M24 Limerick to Pallasgreen
    9. M24 Pallasgreen - Cahir
    10. M45 DOOR

Cork needs radical investment in road infrastructure. I believe all the cities should have adequate bypasses or a relief outer motorway network. Galway is completely missing one and Cork only has half of a full ring it requires.

The M20, M28 and Dunkettle are all obvious urgent road schemes.

My lowest priorities would be the last 4. I think the N24 is past saturation point long ago near Limerick and Ballysimon to Pallasgreen needs to be motorway standard as its already around 20k AADT. It may as well be built M all the way to Cahir(M8). N21: Adare, enough said.

Metro North, Dart underground and more heavy underground rail will solve more problems on the M50 than more road schemes like the M45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Sorry to go off topic slightly here, but does anyone know why Shane Ross is coming to Kerry tomorrow?
    I was sitting in a bar in Killarney having dinner when in walks Danny Healy-Rae, overhead someone asking him if Ross was coming tomorrow, he replies "He is, and he's never been outside of Dublin before, we'll open his eyes for him "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sorry to go off topic slightly here, but does anyone know why Shane Ross is coming to Kerry tomorrow?
    I was sitting in a bar in Killarney having dinner when in walks Danny Healy-Rae, overhead someone asking him if Ross was coming tomorrow, he replies "He is, and he's never been outside of Dublin before, we'll open his eyes for him "
    oh really? Is he going to compare Dublins relatively worse situation in my opinion, with that of rural Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

1. New Liffey crossing between M50 and Lucan
    2. M20
    3. Tipp Town bypass
    4. Upgrade of Piltown bypass
    5. Extension of M2 to junction with R152 (Dunleek Rd) including HGV toll
    6. Phased upgrade of N52 and N80 to eventually create central motorway linking all inter-urbans
    Would also like to see smaller schemes prioritised which remove silly bends (eg N77 Kilkenny-Ballyragget)
    Also the remediation of culverts/underbridges which are suffering from subsidence (most notable on M9) but several on other motorways too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

1. Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade
    2. M6 Galway Outer Ring Road
    3. M50 Electronic Lane Control System (+ very strict traffic enforcement)
    =4. M20 Cork to Limerick
    =4. M40 CNRR (Northern Section)
    6. M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy
    7. M21 Adare Bypass (Foynes to Limerick Scheme)
    8. N22 Macroom Bypass
    9. N2 Slane Bypass
    10. M24 Carrick-on-Suir Bypass (Cahir to N76 junction as motorway)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

In no particular order though number 1 would be my first priority. The list is also a little parochial too. It is Ireland after all.

1) M20 complete.
    2) N6 Galway bypass
    3) M40 Cork north ring road
    4) N52/N62 Birr bypass
    5) N52 Borrisokane to Birr including Boreisokane bypass
    6) M7/M9 and M7/M8 junctions to have all movements
    7) R136 Finish the link from N81 to M1 to as high a standard as possible
    8) N52 Tullamore link road to M6
    9) N2 Slane bypass
    10) N24 from Limerick to the M8 and Carraig on Suir bypass

I omitted the vital projects of the Dunkettle interchange, M7 widening and Adare/Foynes as they appear to be going ahead soon or are somewhat committed to. I think the N52 and N80 should get improvements (in addition to those listed above) to eventually form good interlinks between the major motorways helping to avoid long distance traffic from using the M50 and heaviest trafficked sections of road in the Dublin area.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My priorities are:

M20 Cork to Limerick
    M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy
    Cork North Ring Road
    New Liffey crossing between Lucan and M50
    Upgrade of N52 - to WS2 or 2+2 in places and bypass all towns/villages
    - upgrade N80 to same standard as N52 upgrades
    N25 Full DC from Middleton to Youghal
    N24 - upgrade to 2+2 Limerick to Cahir
    N4 Carrick on Shannon 2+2 bypass
    Outer Dublin Orbital motorway but only after major public transport
    Schemes in Dublin including DART underground, extension of LUAS, Metro North

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd say (in no particular order):

- Outer motorway-grade link roads between the M3/M4/M7/N81 before you get to the M50. This would take the pressure off the latter and save people time if they are going say from Kildare-Blanchardstown

- N40 in Cork is often worse than the M50. Half of that though is poor driver standards (why does NO-ONE indicate in Cork for example??). The tunnel/roundabout needs urgent improvement though

- N40 to N28 has the same issue as M50N-N7.. you merge onto a stretch that cars are trying to get into (Douglas exit on the former, LUAS P+R in the latter)

- Close M50 J10N merge.. as above it's too close to J9 which causes lots of issues at peak

- N28 to motorway ASAP. Forget the NIMBY nonsense from some residents. Needs of the many and all that

- I'm genuinely not convinced the widening of the M7 to the M9 will make much difference for the costs/disruption involved except maybe move the problems a few KM further south. Doing this at a proposed 100 km/h limit though is stupidity. THe existing N7 can more than handle 120 off-peak as I see every day.

Advertisement