Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highlife Ski Employee Requirements and Conditions

Options
  • 12-03-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    Hoping to work for highlife ski next season, after my leaving cert.
    i have a great attitude to work, and i think id be well suited to the role, but unfortunately my opinion matters for little! on paper, im afraid ill come accross as young (19), with very little relevant hospitality experience.
    does any one have any experience of working with highlife? do they require hospitality experience? or is a good personality more important? basically ANY INFO would be so appreciated!! are they a good company to work for? looking for a new experience, not wealth or endless skiing!
    thanks in advance
    O.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Just curious as to why you're set on Highlife if you know nothing about the company...? Is it because they're an Irish company? I know nothing about them either, so not much help on that front, but there's nothing stopping you getting a job with a UK-based or local outfit.

I think there's a UK-based forum for gathering information about seasonnaire jobs. Maybe it's snowheads, maybe it's something else, but I'd expect someone else can remember. Do some research before you narrow it down as jobs in resort, as you can imagine, vary wildly in terms of what kind of time off you get. Bartenders can ski/board almost all day every day (once they're not hungover) but chalet hosts are often more free in the evening after they've served dinner. Transfer drivers get no free time at the weekends, but can be very open during the week. 

Having done a season before, I wouldn't say being 19 would be a big challenge, there were plenty around that age, but don't expect to land the best job in town. Sorry I couldn't be more help in relation to highlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wexford_girl01

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Just curious as to why you're set on Highlife if you know nothing about the company...? Is it because they're an Irish company? I know nothing about them either, so not much help on that front, but there's nothing stopping you getting a job with a UK-based or local outfit.

I think there's a UK-based forum for gathering information about seasonnaire jobs. Maybe it's snowheads, maybe it's something else, but I'd expect someone else can remember. Do some research before you narrow it down as jobs in resort, as you can imagine, vary wildly in terms of what kind of time off you get. Bartenders can ski/board almost all day every day (once they're not hungover) but chalet hosts are often more free in the evening after they've served dinner. Transfer drivers get no free time at the weekends, but can be very open during the week. 

Having done a season before, I wouldn't say being 19 would be a big challenge, there were plenty around that age, but don't expect to land the best job in town. Sorry I couldn't be more help in relation to highlife.

Thank you! I'm interested in Highlife because they're the only Irish ski company i can find, most UK companies look for UK bank accounts and national insurance numbers, i know both are obtainable but it's a bit of hassle.
    I posted this question about Highlife here because boards.ie is an Irish forum, so i thought it would make most sense! I've done as much research as possible on highlife, but apart from a few travel review articles in newspapers and online, and their own website, i can find very little! I'd love to encounter someone with first hand experience of working for them
    Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thank you! I'm interested in Highlife because they're the only Irish ski company i can find, most UK companies look for UK bank accounts and national insurance numbers, i know both are obtainable but it's a bit of hassle.
    I posted this question about Highlife here because boards.ie is an Irish forum, so i thought it would make most sense! I've done as much research as possible on highlife, but apart from a few travel review articles in newspapers and online, and their own website, i can find very little! I'd love to encounter someone with first hand experience of working for them
    Thanks for your help

Topflight/Direct Ski is an Irish operator and hires (some) Irish people as reps. If I were you id be looking to spread your options out and get UK bank account and national insurance number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wexford_girl01

Rew wrote: »
    Topflight/Direct Ski is an Irish operator and hires (some) Irish people as reps. If I were you id be looking to spread your options out and get UK bank account and national insurance number.

That's the plan Rew, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to getting a UK bank account and national insurance number. They all look for proof of address etc, and there's a bit of red tape to get through! Anyone with any experience of this?

Advertisement