Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will insure a mobile library truck?

Options
  • 12-03-2017 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm working with a community project and we've purchased a second hand mobile library truck for conversion to a mobile drop-in centre. It means we can go to where the action / need is rather than hope people will come to us. The vehicle is built on a DAF truck and weighs 7400 kg. There are two seats - the driver and one passenger.

qYv3wyf.png
    A library bus similar to ours.

We're having a very difficult time getting a quote on this. It doesn't fit into anyone's tidy category. I suspect the county councils used to group insure with all their other vehicles and that it didn't add significantly to their policy risk (cars, vans, trucks, road-gritting, excavators, etc.) so it wasn't a problem.

Can anyone suggest who we should talk to?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Check what is the EU vehicle category in the registration cert (position J).

If it's a N2 category, that means it's a commercial goods vehicle and should be treated the same as any truck up to 12 tonnes gross weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It's not the vehicle, but the use it is being put to that is deterring insurers. Things like this, such as ice cream vans, mobile shops etc, where people are gathering around the vehicle is high risk. Also, I presume it is an older vehicle

Advertisement