Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish construction workers being awkward.

Options
  • 12-03-2017 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭

In 2015, the internal doors in my home were replaced. It was meant to take place in July but the workman who was in charge of the task contacted my mother (Yes, I live with my parents; I'm in my early 30s and I've been struggling with depression) to ask if it could be done ahead of schedule. She agreed to let this happen. Later, my mother explained that it was possibly because some materials that the team responsible for the task needed for another task had not been delivered on time, thus necessitating the rescheduling of the task at my home.

Last summer, part of the roof had to be replaced because of leaks. A separate team did this task. It took a month to get it done and they stopped several times because of rain, i.e. the issue of getting the cement to dry. Surely, the workmen could have used tarpaulin so that they could continue working during the rain. Aren't professionals supposed to be innovative.

A few years ago, the local secondary school that is my alma mater got a new building that was constructed on the grounds of the old building. The new building is good. However, the construction was beset by delays. Causes were a construction firm changing its mind before the contract could be signed because it got a better offer and a contractor blocked the driveway because of a dispute about money being owed to him.

The point of my OP is:

Is there something in the psyche of the Irish construction and home improvement community (not all workers, by the way) that influences workers to cause inconvenience to customers and other member of the public, i.e. abruptly changing schedule, being lackadaisical about the speed at which the work is to be done?

PS: Some people may regard this OP as bizarre but I believe that's what After Hours is for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People demanding professional levels of pay while carrying on like complete cowboys is a common phenomenon in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Construction of buildings and other stuff is some of the most sophisticated work that humans ever do..........

Builders are not treated like the creative Gods they are...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They're not professionals they're trades people. Very highly skilled at following very set procedures for tasks. If needed to call off the work due to rain then that's probably a fairly good reason.

Also:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I'm glad you clarified that the local secondary school is also your alma mater.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So the doors in your house were changed ahead of schedule, and you use this as an example of awkwardness and unprofessionalism?

Then builders find something they can do inside somewhere, instead of stripping and repairing a roof in the rain?

And finally, a company who had not even signed a contract, are blamed for some other company starting work later than planned?

Where was the project manager? Did no other company quote for the job?

If you had a choice, would YOU choose to work on a roof in the rain? I guarantee if water damage occurred when the roof was open, you would be on here blaming the builders for working on your roof during the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭political analyst

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So the doors in your house were changed ahead of schedule, and you use this as an example of awkwardness and unprofessionalism?

Then builders find something they can do inside somewhere, instead of stripping and repairing a roof in the rain?

And finally, a company who had not even signed a contract, are blamed for some other company starting work later than planned?

Where was the project manager? Did no other company quote for the job?

If you had a choice, would YOU choose to work on a roof in the rain? I guarantee if water damage occurred when the roof was open, you would be on here blaming the builders for working on your roof during the rain.

The school caretaker said that the company in question caused the delay by changing its mind before the contract could be signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do you know what's great about working in construction? Calling a builder on a Friday to get paid and he won't answer his phone leaving you broke. Then he arranges to meet you in a month when he gets his next stage payment...except he doesn't, he waits another week and then pays you half because he didn't get all of his payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

In fairness the caretakers of our school's do a great and thankless job but their paid on a need to know basis and believe me theyre not in a position of need to know about major construction projects and the legal logistics involved what you heard coukd of well been hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The school caretaker said that the company in question caused the delay by changing its mind before the contract could be signed.

Exactly.
    No contract was signed.
    How could the school know the start time until they had an agreement in place?
    Where were the underbidders?
    What did the Architects say? Who was the project manager?
    The school caretaker was hardly in charge of getting a new building put up, was he?
    Now if you wanted a bit of washable "eggshell" paint thrown onto a wall, he could probably be in charge of that, all right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its the one that try to build stuff with explosives that I find most disruptive..............

• Advertisement

I believe that it's right to include repair men under the umbrella term "construction and home improvement workers".

At a local café bar, the hand-dryers at the men's toilets have been kaput for weeks but the repair men still haven't turned up. One of the managers said that the repair men are very slow.

What is at the root of their casual attitude to their work? Is it particular to this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I believe that it's right to include repair men under the umbrella term "construction and home improvement workers".

At a local café bar, the hand-dryers at the men's toilets have been kaput for weeks but the repair men still haven't turned up. One of the managers said that the repair men are very slow.

What is at the root of their casual attitude to their work? Is it particular to this country?

Our lack of complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How could the school know the start time until they had an agreement in place?

Guessing because it's a school, they wanted it started at the end of school term and a deadline set of the beginning of another term.

Senna wrote: »
    Guessing because it's a school, they wanted it started at the end of school term and a deadline set of the beginning of another term.

I just wish to clarify something:

It was business as usual for the school in its old building as the new building was being constructed on an old football pitch (a new pitch was created back in 2000) on the grounds but a short distance away from the old building, which was demolished after the school moved into the new building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Quite often two or more parties are at odds re the actual work, the schedule, the payments. Write everything down, agree and sign off off on it. Tradesmen are often juggling jobs and customers often don't actually know what the hell they want and change their minds about a point of detail well into a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

My former manager used to say that when the client changes the goalposts, then the project can still be delivered on time, or on budget or with agreed number of workers, but not all 3.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My former manager used to say that when the client changes the goalposts, then the project can still be delivered on time, or on budget or with agreed number of workers, but not all 3.
    LOL

Love the way project managers still believe that nine women can deliver a baby in one month

Advertisement