Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B12 intravenous

Options
  • 12-03-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if it is legal to import the injectable form of B12 into Ireland? Or is it possible to just have a doctor or a nurse administer it in a clinic?

Edit - Should read intramuscular not intravenous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Why would you need to import it?
    Your GP can prescribe it if you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's illegal to import it. It is readily available here on prescription and very commonly administered.

It's usually given intramuscular my rather than iv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Wesser wrote: »
    Why would you need to import it?
    Your GP can prescribe it if you need it

I heard that the methyl version which is more effective is in short supply here for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Exileire

Intramuscular vitamin B12 injections are quickly falling out of favor. Several studies and a good meta-analysis have shown that high-dose oral vitamin B12 is as efficacious as the intramuscular formulation (1000mcg to 2000mcg daily), especially for haematological and neurological responses.

• Advertisement

Exileire wrote: »
    Intramuscular vitamin B12 injections are quickly falling out of favor. Several studies and a good meta-analysis have shown that high-dose oral vitamin B12 is as efficacious as the intramuscular formulation (1000mcg to 2000mcg daily), especially for haematological and neurological responses.

That's assuming that the patient doesn't have absorption issues though, which is often the reason they need the dose. I've tried oral B12, tablet and sublingual forms and it has very minimal effect. Now I don't know if the injection will either, but I'm going to give it a try.

Seanachai wrote: »

That's assuming that the patient doesn't have absorption issues though, which is often the reason they need the dose. I've tried oral B12, tablet and sublingual forms and it has very minimal effect. Now I don't know if the injection will either, but I'm going to give it a try.

Even with some malabsorptive conditions, vitamin B12 is absorbed by passive diffusion and especially at megadoses. In other words, passive diffusion does not require intrinsic factor, etc. Furthermore, oral vitamin B12 is more cost-saving and less uncomfortable than an IM injection. In support of your assertion above, the studies showing effective passive diffusion of oral B12 compared to IM B12 did not include patients with inflammatory bowel disease or coeliac disease (however, did have patients with other malabsorption conditions).

Even with some malabsorptive conditions, vitamin B12 is absorbed by passive diffusion and especially at megadoses. In other words, passive diffusion does not require intrinsic factor, etc. Furthermore, oral vitamin B12 is more cost-saving and less uncomfortable than an IM injection. In support of your assertion above, the studies showing effective passive diffusion of oral B12 compared to IM B12 did not include patients with inflammatory bowel disease or coeliac disease (however, did have patients with other malabsorption conditions).

I have a raft of gut issues, which is why I'm going to try the IM route. I just don't think I'm getting it from my food even though my diet is A1, my FBC is coming back in the normal range, but I still feel very depleted.

I have a raft of gut issues, which is why I'm going to try the IM route. I just don't think I'm getting it from my food even though my diet is A1, my FBC is coming back in the normal range, but I still feel very depleted.
    Well, first things first - are you actually deficient in vitamin B12? How do you 'feel' depleted?

Well, first things first - are you actually deficient in vitamin B12? How do you 'feel' depleted?

If I take the sublingual it relives my fatigue to a point, but I'd have to take 6-7 over the course of the day to get any decent effect. It won't do me any harm to try the IM anyway, the worst that can happen is it won't work or I end up with a sore buttock.

• Advertisement

If I take the sublingual it relives my fatigue to a point, but I'd have to take 6-7 over the course of the day to get any decent effect. It won't do me any harm to try the IM anyway, the worst that can happen is it won't work or I end up with a sore buttock.
    Or a big hematoma or nerve damage if you don't know how to give IM injections. Seriously though, you should see your doctor about this. You are not describing a picture of actual B12 deficiency and any form of B12 absolutely does not acutely relieve fatigue.

Or a big hematoma or nerve damage if you don't know how to give IM injections. Seriously though, you should see your doctor about this. You are not describing a picture of actual B12 deficiency and any form of B12 absolutely does not acutely relieve fatigue.

I should have said I'm going to a clinic, I'm not confident enough to inject myself. It was actually a friend who works as a nurse in a clinic in the US that recommended the IM route and there has also been some doubt over the efficacy of sublingual/oral recently. I'll post the link when I can find it.

Advertisement