Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!!!!Toy Warning!!!!

Options
  • 12-03-2017 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

This is a message for any dog owners on here and id like you to share this so that anyone who may have these toys for their dogs can see how dangerous they are. The chicken in the images below is stocked in the vast majority of pet stores and was my dogs favourite toy and last night it almost killed her.

Because of the soft material that the toy was made of she managed to chew through the toy and swallow the foot whole. The vet reckons it took about a week to travel to where it got stuck and then from the time we brought her to the vet until the time she was on that operating table was less than an hour.

We got extremely lucky that we got her to the vet when we did. So if you see these soft rubber toys just don't get them it will save your dog a lot of discomfort and pain.

EDIT:
    I've removed the image of the dog from this post, but it can still be seen in the attached images if anyone wishes to see the aftermath of what the toy cost.

411587.jpg
    411588.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks.

I once gave my collie a soft toy.

She looked at it thoughtfully, then chewed an ear off and swallowed it whole.

No more toys...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks for the warning. How did you know she was unwell? She'd swallowed the foot days before - had she been showing symptoms for long?

This isn't as a criticism btw, it's because our dog constantly eats things when we're down in the beach, and because she's so playful she tends to run away and think it's a game, so sometimes I just leave her, rather than chase her to get it. The other day she had what looked like a longish piece of rope maybe 20cm, and it took me ages to catch her properly (when she has something she'll tease you with it...) and when I took it out of her mouth it was the skin of a dogfish or something. I don't know if she'd have digested it, it was really thick.

She also eats soft toys - of course. And the squeaks out of them, when she can.
    Oh and stones sometimes.

So I feel it's an accident waiting to happen for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

volchitsa wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning. How did you know she was unwell? She'd swallowed the foot days before - had she been showing symptoms for long?

This isn't as a criticism btw, it's because our dog constantly eats things when we're down in the beach, and because she's so playful she tends to run away and think it's a game, so sometimes I just leave her, rather than chase her to get it. The other day she had what looked like a longish piece of rope maybe 20cm, and it took me ages to catch her properly (when she has something she'll tease you with it...) and when I took it out of her mouth it was the skin of a dogfish or something. I don't know if she'd have digested it, it was really thick.

She also eats soft toys - of course. And the squeaks out of them, when she can.
    Oh and stones sometimes.

So I feel it's an accident waiting to happen for us.

She showed no symptoms until the day, I came down in the morning and she'd been sick in her bed during the night, she then threw up a further two times, we'd given her some leftovers so thought it was just a bug, but she was very uneasy later in the day so we said better to be safe than sorry and bring her up to the vets. Literally five minutes of an examination, and then straight into surgery.

A whirlwind does not explain the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks. Our dog's about the same size, and she's such a frenetic picker-upper and chewer of soft things (she destroyed several of her own dog beds - though that seems to be a lot better now, mainly because we don't need to lock her in her crate at night now) that I feel like it's impossible to stop her.

Is there any chance your dog will have learned a lesson? I imagine not, alas. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

You poor pup - I'm glad she's ok.

I must admit - my two were terrible chewers and would destroy any of these types of toys in seconds - especially if they had a squeaker in them! It ended up that the only thing I could give them would be Kongs - and even they had to be replaced every couple of months...

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Thanks. Our dog's about the same size, and she's such a frenetic picker-upper and chewer of soft things (she destroyed several of her own dog beds - though that seems to be a lot better now, mainly because we don't need to lock her in her crate at night now) that I feel like it's impossible to stop her.

Is there any chance your dog will have learned a lesson? I imagine not, alas. ;)

Not a chance, even this morning she's trying to jump all over us, keeping her calm is a nightmare! very excitable collie! The cone is driving her mad!

We're still create training this one at the moment she's only 8 months old so has a lot of learning, hopefully this slows her down a bit! Would love some way of communicating with her that its dangerous!

My Springer has had this operation twice!
    Plastic collar drives him mad too, i found if i put a small t shirt or vest on him it covered the stitches so he couldn't get at them.

bubblypop wrote: »
    My Springer has had this operation twice!
    Plastic collar drives him mad too, i found if i put a small t shirt or vest on him it covered the stitches so he couldn't get at them.

I might try then when the wound is a bit more healed up. Stomach is doing backflips looking at the poor thing anytime she moves :(

Just pull it up onto the back and tie it then.
    They look like a backwards 90s girl! 😅

Advertisement