Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brocken Spectres...

Options
  • 11-03-2017 8:45pm

After 6 or 7 years hiking, climbing and running in the mountains, finally saw one. Was running the Caher Ridge when the fellow with me suddenly shouted, would have kept the head down only for it.

They're pretty spectacular.

Anyone else see one and if so, where? They're rare enough, know fellows who have been heading into the mountains a lot longer and who haven't seen one yet. I guess a lot depends on the terrain, weather conditions (obviously!) and the orientation of the route...

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/globrock.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I haven't seen one myself but someone I know has a photo of one taken in the Knockmealdowns recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,956 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Never heard of these until I read about them a few days ago. Must have been a nice experience seeing one :)

I take it you didn't manage to take a picture?

Imagine even in recent times, people observed similar things and thought they had something to do with "god" :D

unkel wrote: »
    Never heard of these until I read about them a few days ago. Must have been a nice experience seeing one :)

I take it you didn't manage to take a picture?

Imagine even in recent times, people observed similar things and thought they had something to do with "god" :D

No, I never bring a camera. Fellow with me went scrambling for his but couldn't get it in time. If you Google image the term, one of then first results is a Brocken Spectre on the same ridge. Strange day up there, a few minutes later the cloud or mist seemed to refract the sun onto Curraghmore Lake below us, which glowed.

OK, admittedly not taken on a mountain, but the closest I have on "film" is one I took from an aeroplane on a recent trip to Iceland ...

a3iiir.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Am I the only one who opened up this thread expecting to see photos of some sort of bird of prey? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Saw one years ago while walking in Wales. Plus many times from aeroplanes.
    I also know someone who saw one on Lugnaquilla on her first trip into mountains.
    She didn't realise at the time how special it was until I explained I'd only seen one in 35 years hillwalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peter Walker

First saw one on Cadair Idris in Wales back in 1992 (I think). Had a few since then, most memorably on Brandon.
    Knowing you Conor, you've probably run past loads of them without noticing... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Thought I'd post this here, about the Fear Liath Mór, the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui.

Saw another on Cloon Horseshoe about 4 months ago.

And 2 today on the Paps of Anu, on different sides of the summits.

Friends got photos of both so events recorded for posterity in Facebook.

And kinda sick of them now...:)

There were perfect conditions for Brocken spectres on this year's Maamturks Challenge

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nuigmc/sets/72157680011351452

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Saw a partial one while walking on Derrybawn above Laragh a few years back - it was late evening on a very misty day with the sun struggling to break through. And as usual I did not have the presence of mind to take a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

I was lucky enough to see one on my first climb of Lugnaquilla a few years back - link to the photo:

http://www.irelandswildlandscape.com/brocken-spectre-at-south-prison

Advertisement