Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to track a taxi down!

Options
  • 11-03-2017 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me please! I need to track down a taxi driver who drives a rented car.

I got a taxi home last night from Dublin city centre and left a bag on the back seat which I urgently need back, it contains work and college items.

I had to stop for cash on the way home and the Petrol station the taxi pulled into were able to give me the taxi number, car reg and car make from the cctv.

I went to my local Garda station and they were able to track the car to a company that rents out taxis to individual drivers. The Guard checked out a few things for me but basically came to a dead end.

He could see who the car was registered to but could not get any contact details, tried 11811 etc to no avail. He could not give me the name of the registered car owner for legal reasons.

I've tried calling some of these rental companies and even people who have cars for rent on Gumtree but still no luck.

If anyone is reading this and is or knows drivers who rent cars who could maybe help, I'd be really grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If the Gardai were able to determine the company, then just get them to contact them (or get the name from them and call them yourself) and find out who had that car at that time last night?

If you have the plate number, registration and make/model, start calling the companies who rent them out to drivers.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=taxi%20rental%20dublin&*&rct=j

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lost bag

Hi Kaiser,

The guard found the name of the registered company but there are no contact details or any online presence bar that they are a registered company on the Company Registration Office site ☹️

Actually, the NTA have to have the details registered of every rental agreement, including when a car is replaced etc.

That will have the driver, the contact details for the taxi owner etc.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/

Get in touch with them also.

Hi JayZeus,

Gone through all those already. Just my luck the car I was in doesn't seem to be with these larger firms.

• Advertisement

Oooh this looks good thanks JayZeus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

ring the carrige office. drivers used to drop lost and found items in to them

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    ring the carrige office. drivers used to drop lost and found items in to them

They won't accept any such items any more.

There are a few specific Garda stations around Dublin that will:

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Maybe download the driver check app. It should give you the name of the driver. You could then email the taxi regulators office and ask them to contact him/her on your behalf

Once you have the taxi number you should be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

It may be all in vain, the driver might be oblivious that you forgot to take your bag and the next fare may have swiped it when they were getting out.
    However you got to try and hopefully this is not the case.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies much appreciated, so I downloaded the app and I was able to find the driver registered to the car, with a picture and all!. It's not the same guy but I expected that anyway as the Gardai has identified it was a rental taxi.

So I'll email the taxi reg & transport for Ireland as they have a feedback form on drivers!

Ideally I'd like to think ill get it back before I head into work on Monday, at this point my dream is to swan in like nothing happened! But I know I have to be realistic and think it's gone.

He got a very decent fare and a tip and we had a good conversation so hopefully he just called it a night after dropping me off! Fingers crossed!

Advertisement