Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP Setup Question

Options
  • 11-03-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

So I'm trying out IrishVoip.com prepay product and so far so good.

I'm using a Yealink Y52 SIP Handset and also have Bria on my iPhone.

Sometimes the Y52 won't ring when an incoming call is happening.

I've narrowed this down to when I have the Bria account up and running on my iPhone. If I disable this and reset the Yealink then it rings for incoming calls no problem.

Is there a way to set it up so that for an incoming call both the Y52 and the Bria app on my phone will ring and I can choose which one to answer?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm only getting my head around VOIP for the first time. I have to say I'm impressed so far - the quality is amazing and of course the cost is much much cheaper than your traditional landline.

Thanks in advance all.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you checked the settings in your IrishVoip account to see if there is anything relevant there?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Have you checked the settings in your IrishVoip account to see if there is anything relevant there?

Yep -all look fine. To be honest I think its something to do with the Y52 as opposed to my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

According to this
    http://www.irishvoip.com/w/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=23
    all is required appears to be to use the same settings in both devices.

From your description the Bria seems to be grabbing exclusive ownership.

Maybe their help section would have the solution?
    https://www.irishvoip.com/w/supporttickets.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

As long as the clients have different local SIP ports both registrations should remain active and receive the incoming call. Its possible that both are set to default to 5060 which would cause one client to override the other (if on the same network).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

slegs wrote: »
    As long as the clients have different local SIP ports both registrations should remain active and receive the incoming call. Its possible that both are set to default to 5060 which would cause one client to override the other (if on the same network).

Can I change the VOIP handset ports to something different than 5060 without affecting anything else? 5080? Straightforward enough in the settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try 5061 on one phone and 5060. I'm not sure if irishvoip have multiple ports opened. Technically speaking, it will only ring one phone (the one that registered last) but try two different ports.

For clarity I am referring to the local sip port on the device or client and not the remote SIP port that Irish VoIP use.

Look in your settings for "Local" SIP Port

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

For clarity I am referring to the local sip port on the device or client and not the remote SIP port that Irish VoIP use.

Look in your settings for "Local" SIP Port

Yep.. Depending on the provider though, this might not work.

You should really have one phone per sip account

Mr. G wrote: »
    Yep.. Depending on the provider though, this might not work.

You should really have one phone per sip account

There is no technical restriction in SIP to having multiple clients registered to the same SIP address and receiving calls to all clients. It is up to the providers SIP implementation to handle this. Its true that many dont handle it but its very technically possible.

Most providers will have a SIP Proxy that will have a location entry for each registered client whether from same account or not. When a call is made to that number this table is referenced and then the call is passed to all clients with that phone number/sip address. First to answer will take the call.

Advertisement