Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago

Options
  • 10-03-2017 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Heading to Chicago for 6 days at the start of April.

Looking for recommendations of things to do, places to eat & pubs for a few beers..

So far, I've planned to do the following:
    - Chicago Bulls v Orlando Magic
    - Bobby's bike hike
    - 360 tour at John Hancock
    - Navy Pier
    - Lincoln Park
    - Smith & Wollensky (Food)
    - Whisk (Food)

Any further recommendations to add to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Sufitzy

Looking for recommendations of things to do, places to eat & pubs for a few beers..

- Bobby's bike hike
    - Navy Pier
    - Lincoln Park
    - Whisk (Food)

The Original Pancake house is fab for breakfast/brunch !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Sufitzy wrote: »
    The Original Pancake house is fab for breakfast/brunch !

Try and take in a Blackhawks game too. It'll be coming towards the end of the season so tickets will be like gold dust. Also baseball season will be started so go to a Cubs game. If tickets are hard to get just go up around Wrigglyville on game day, great fun.

There's so many great steak houses in Chicago I wouldn't bother with a chain like S&W. Go to Bavettes, probably the best steak and meal I've ever had. Miller's pub is a great place for food and drink, has a real speakeasy vibe and the food is really good, we always stop here. Anything else you need help on just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

- Bobby's bike hike
    - Navy Pier
    - Lincoln Park
    - Whisk (Food)

The Cubs or White Sox will be just about starting their new season. Cubs are now the champions.

Take an architectural boat tour... they are absolutely brilliant. A must do. There's a number of operators down by the riverside. One of them has museum employees (docents) as the narrator.

The three museums are excellent... the Field, Shedd and Adler.

Navy Pier is not very interesting.

Willis Tower (previously Sears Tower) is impressive. It used to be the tallest skyscraper in the world.

The Billy Goat Tavern

Emmits Bar from Ocean's Eleven

Take the ' L' trains. Although some of the routes are a bit dodgy.

Many people seem to enjoy Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village neighbourhoods.

The Loop is very like the IFSC after office hours. It is deserted like 28 Days Later.

Most of the action is in River North.

Be careful at the United Centre for the Bulls. A rough area.

Beer.... Old Style

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Cheers for all the info folks, will deffo try get some of them in. I'm missing the last of the regular season games for Blackhawks but would love to get a game in if they make the playoffs (not sure what way they're lined up for it). The frozen four final is on the day I arrive too so might see if there's any tickets floating around for it.

Good to know bout the area around United centre too. Checked it on the map and it looked fairly central so assumed it would be an alright area. Presume the areas busy for nightlife are relatively safe? Hotel is on magnificent mile so seems to be in the heart of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Note....when people refer to the United Center neighborhood as rough....think shot dead rough.......not battered rough.

Area will be crawling with fans and cops after a game so you will be fine. Just dont close a bar in the area and then go wandering around the streets trying to find your way back to the hotel

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the info folks, will deffo try get some of them in. I'm missing the last of the regular season games for Blackhawks but would love to get a game in if they make the playoffs (not sure what way they're lined up for it). The frozen four final is on the day I arrive too so might see if there's any tickets floating around for it.

Good to know bout the area around United centre too. Checked it on the map and it looked fairly central so assumed it would be an alright area. Presume the areas busy for nightlife are relatively safe? Hotel is on magnificent mile so seems to be in the heart of the city.
    Blackhawks are second in their division so are guaranteed a playoff spot, tickets will be impossible to get. The area around the United Center is bad but on game night you'll be fine as 20k people will be around. Get the bus right outside the stadium back into downtown, think it's the #9 bus.

Definitely do the architecture tour as mentioned, the Chicago skyline is so impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Check out Grant Park, which runs down the spine of the city.

Especially the Buckingham Fountain and Cloud Gate (the Bean).

In terms of safety, take the usual big city precautions. There are many destitute people, unfortunately some of them have fallen on hard times (alcoholism and mental illness). Plenty of panhandling on the L trains, where a guy will walk into a carriage and start a speech about being a reformed prisoner or army veteran.

It's a great city. If you don't venture into the bad neighbourhoods of the West and South sides, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Willis Tower (previously Sears Tower) is impressive. It used to be the tallest skyscraper in the world.

The Hancock Building is not as tall but the view from the top is better because it's right beside Lake Michigan. All of the locals recommended it over the Willis Tower. Go to the bar on the floor one from the top, it's free to enter and you can have a beer or two while admiring the view, you have to pay to get into the top floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Try and take in a Blackhawks game too. It'll be coming towards the end of the season so tickets will be like gold dust. Also baseball season will be started so go to a Cubs game. If tickets are hard to get just go up around Wrigglyville on game day, great fun.

There's so many great steak houses in Chicago I wouldn't bother with a chain like S&W. Go to Bavettes, probably the best steak and meal I've ever had. Miller's pub is a great place for food and drink, has a real speakeasy vibe and the food is really good, we always stop here. Anything else you need help on just ask.

We're over for a few days in May at playoff time. Whats the top tier of the United center like? IF the Bulls make the playoffs tickets are on sale already and they're the only ones near our price bracket ($150 a ticket), would it be worth it or just see dots running around? There's a refund if they don't make it.

L.S.F wrote: »
    We're over for a few days in May at playoff time. Whats the top tier of the United center like? IF the Bulls make the playoffs tickets are on sale already and they're the only ones near our price bracket ($150 a ticket), would it be worth it or just see dots running around? There's a refund if they don't make it.

The upper level (300) section is perfect. Mostly sit there for Hawks games. The stadium is more compact so you're not going to be way back. Have never been up that far for a Bulls game but even though the court is smaller than a rink i don't think it would be an issue. Really doubt the Bulls will make the playoffs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

L.S.F wrote: »
    IF the Bulls make the playoffs tickets are on sale already and they're the only ones near our price bracket ($150 a ticket), would it be worth it or just see dots running around? There's a refund if they don't make it.

You say there's somewhere offering Chicago Bulls playoff tickets at $150 each that you can buy now and they'll refund you if the bulls dont make the playoffs?

Who is it thats offering this scheme? It sounds dodgy. Usually when a team clinches a spot in the playoffs the season ticket holders get the first choice and then they go on sale to the public through the team or ticketmaster and they would sell out Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You say there's somewhere offering Chicago Bulls playoff tickets at $150 each that you can buy now and they'll refund you if the bulls dont make the playoffs?

Who is it thats offering this scheme? It sounds dodgy. Usually when a team clinches a spot in the playoffs the season ticket holders get the first choice and then they go on sale to the public through the team or ticketmaster and they would sell out Fast.

Cheers for the info.

Found it through the Bulls nba.com page and it's via ticketmaster's tickets now page: http://www.ticketsnow.com/nba/resaleorder/chicago-bulls-tickets/event/161?EID=161&extcmp=gw500020&wt.mc_id=NBATEAM_CHI_TIX_ARENA_200X100&partnercode=bulls
    It had provisional dates up at one stage but now all are TBD

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Heading to Chicago 27th October to 4th November. I'm trying to have things to do booked beforehand. I would love to go to a hockey or football game whilst over there. There doesn't seem to be any games planned/tickets available? Is the season finished over there at that time?

Would also love any other recommendations?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hockey schedule is out on Thursday so there should be a Blackhawks game at some stage when you are there.

The Bears are away for two game but are at home 4th Nov, are you flying out that day or the day after ?
    Illinois (College) football are at home the day you arrive.

Hockey schedule is out on Thursday so there should be a Blackhawks game at some stage when you are there.

The Bears are away for two game but are at home 4th Nov, are you flying out that day or the day after ?
    Illinois (College) football are at home the day you arrive.

Thank you so much! I fly back home the 4th. Would love to see a hockey game.

Any recommendations for websites to book them through?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

stubhub is a trustworthy ticket exchange site. I've never gone to a Blackhawks game but got good value on Bulls tickets a few years ago.

Hope you get to go to a Bears game though, I've been to two in Soldier Field and it is a really fantastic place to go (setting aside that I'm a big fan) just because of how central the stadium is in the city. It's a bit pricey though, especially considering they're awful the past six or seven years now.

StubHub is the way to go for Hawks tickets. They're very hard to get but season ticket renewals are way down for the coming season so maybe you'll be in luck. The Hawks are pretty bad at the minute so some interest has dropped. It's a great experience going. Go to a bar called Hawkeye's beforehand. It's close to the United Center and they do a shuttle bus, good bar and the bus is fun. Full schedule is out Thursday so keep an eye and book as soon as possible.

Brilliant - thanks a million!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭larry1

Word of advice, avoid Smith & Wollenskys. Lovely location but I was there a few weeks ago and it was very poor for the prices charged. Nowhere near as good as their NYC restaurant. I would highly recommend Trulucks, it was possibly the best US restaurant I have been to over the past 10 years.. amazing steaks and seafood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

I would also give Stubhub a thumbs up for tickets. I got tickets for the last Bulls home game in April 2017 for a reasonable price and fairly decent seats.

Also, would highly recommend a trip to the original pancake house for breakfast but try get there early in the morning!!

If we're recommending breakfast places I would put in one for Tempo Cafe, get the poor man's skillet. Also Lou Mitchell's diner in West Loop. Yolk is in a few different places, which is also great (get the five egg Texas omelette with the rosemary potatoes and stack of pancakes (as a side!), it was my introduction to the obesity epidemic in America).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I went down there one evening while over working up the road in a suburb

Just got to take in a couple things

Went to top of Sears Tower...worth a visit

Also went to Rosas Blues bar...one of the older more authentic ones

Got tickets for the 28th Bears Vs New York Jets.

Thanks for all the recommendations, keep them coming.

Got tickets for the 28th Bears Vs New York Jets.

Thanks for all the recommendations, keep them coming.
    Savage, now I'm genuinely jealous of you. I'd recommend showing up about three hours before the game, go to the parking lots for the tailgate, it's such a huge part of gameday that I missed out on when I went first time. If you drink, bring yourself a six pack of beer and just wander about, take in the atmosphere, the colour, and all that. A good tip is to buy bottles, but no bottle opener, then you have a perfect reason to strike up conversation and you aren't scrounging off people. Be fairly certain that once people know you're Irish they'll invite you for food and drink at their tailgates and make you feel really at home and a part of the occasion. Late October, weather could go either way: wear layers!!

Good game to go to, genuine chance of a win imo with how the team is progressing. Go bears.

Definitely agree about the tailgating, it's pretty surreal getting drunk that early in the morning but so worth it. We went to an organized tailgate but sure you'd be fine just wandering around. We arrived about 9.30 and the carpark was already full so get there early. One tip for the game is they stop serving drink at the end of the third quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Im just back from Chicago and was at Washington and Wabash.
    just walked everywhere or got ubers when I didnt walk even though the L train was right outside the hotel front door. L train and transport 7 day ticket is about 35 dollars per person.
    I can recommend a comedy show at Second City Map Location
    Also did Macbeth at the Shakespear Theatre on Navy Pier.
    The fireworks are supposed to be good at Navy pier but never got to see them.
    Also recommend Willis Tower skydeck, go early, it opens at 10.30. if your interested in films, Union station is nearby, the steps on Canal Street are famous from "The Untouchables".
    If you are interested in shopping, there is Old Navy, Macys, Nortstrum Target, signup to them before you go well in advance and you may receive coupons for your next shop.
    If you are interested in Gin, you can get a bottle of 70cl Hendricks for 28 dollars in Target ( before tax)
    if you like to have the freedom to do some food shopping instead of eating out all the time there is Marianos Supermarket, on your first go ask for the loyalty card, it will start saving you money as you shop, there are ecoupons you can link to the card, but they have price tickets with and without the card all over the shop.
    There is a chain, Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe, the busy one is on Randolph street, there is a not so busy one at Jane Byrne plaza on E Pearson St. which is just below the big Macy's, the food is good.
    Also went to Sweetwater Tavern and Grille on N Michigan Ave, that was a nice place to eat and sit.
    if you want Deep pan pizza you go to Giordano's at Prudential Plaza on N Beaubien Ct, unless you are a hungaa, dont go big on the Pizza.
    If you want some rest time, we went to AMC cinema's, the cinema had 48 lie back seats in cinema no 1, with tables and call buttons.
    there is a full menu to buy from, all from your seat.
    and lastly, if you want the best shortbread cookies, you go to Goddess and the Baker at 25 South Wabash.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Heading to Chicago 27th October to 4th November. I'm trying to have things to do booked beforehand. I would love to go to a hockey or football game whilst over there. There doesn't seem to be any games planned/tickets available? Is the season finished over there at that time?

Would also love any other recommendations?

Thanks

Ireland play Italy in Soldier Field (as well as NZ Black Ferns vs US Women & NZ Maori vs US Eagles) on the 3rd of November. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 the_walls

Heading to Chicago at the end of March. Does anyone know of any bars that have RTÉ? Looking to catch Shamrock Rovers v Bohs on the 28th. Would be a 1:45pm kick off Chicago time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement