Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nighttime urination

Options
  • 10-03-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That IS odd... i get up often but then I am nearly 80. I try not to drink after early evening but it helps only a little.

Are your fluid intake patterns different when you are not at home?

I did at one stage get more info from a Public Health Nurse, which, given they work with incontinence and associated issues, makes sense. A lot of wisdom there .

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

If the problem clears up at home, then there must be an environmental trigger. Are you drinking more tea/coffee/colas on work days as opposed to days at home where you would perhaps need to be less caffeinated? Sadly, coffee, tea, and fizzy drinks all irritate the bladder. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

so obviously there are a few things that could be going on here.
    one sleep pattern- do you sleep for along time- ie if you go to bed at 9pm are you staying in bed till 9am, then 3 times isnt alot
    are you drinking more when you are alone than when you are at home?
    are you waking and going to pee or are you waking needing to pee?- this happens me, when i am having trouble sleeping if i am awake i feel like i need to pee, but i rarely wake up needing to pee urgently if you get me- if that makes sense. (ie ar eyou feeling the physical pull of needing to pee other then its just convenient)
    has this been going on all the time?, i went to my GP thinking i had diabetes (night time peeing is a sign) it turns out im just a night time pee-r, basically he asked me to check with my family, did i do it when i was a child (yes) was it interfering with my sleep (no) do i drink more fluids after 3 pm than before (yes)
    the final one- when you are waking to pee- are you peeing? like is it a full bladder or are you feeling the urge but nothings coming out- is the juice worth the squeeze so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

you havnt mentioned if youre a boy or a girl.
    there is also something called night time peeing Nocturia but for lads the prostate comes into it as does UTI's for girls...
    or you could just be someone who pees a night, i am.

• Advertisement

I know, I know! Believe me! Also here the bathroom is downstairs... ah well!

Cut out that last cup of tea though? In past days I would not drink coffee or anything after around 3 pm. It helped greatly. Mine is just old age though now. Will be back in nappies soon ;):rolleyes:

that sounds exactly like youve trained your brain and bladder to only go at night time...
    im the exact same.. i drink about 3 liters of water a day but would only pee 2-3 times a day from 5:30am to 6pm, then once im finished work, well...numerous trips,
    like i said earlier i went to the doc to check it all out coz i have a bowel disorder and thought it could be related or diabetes or something, turns out its just coz we werent allowed pee during the classes at school so i training myself to pee after...

that sounds exactly like youve trained your brain and bladder to only go at night time...
    im the exact same.. i drink about 3 liters of water a day but would only pee 2-3 times a day from 5:30am to 6pm, then once im finished work, well...numerous trips,
    like i said earlier i went to the doc to check it all out coz i have a bowel disorder and thought it could be related or diabetes or something, turns out its just coz we werent allowed pee during the classes at school so i training myself to pee after...

All day and night with me! I now think several times if I am going out before enjoying a cup of coffee ;) I know where all the toilets are; bless the checkout staff at LiDL who always let me use their toilets... old age is not for cissies...

• Advertisement

I think there are two factors at play here. Caffeine in cola and tea will interfere with restful sleep, and both drinks also irritate the bladder. Seems your answer is right there that there is no cola at home, and you sleep much better. As for tea, try decaf tea at night. It is sold everywhere now.

Decaf tea tastes milder, so you need to steep it longer. I believe you can get decaf green tea too. I think I saw it in Tesco. Green tea is more caffeinated than regular tea, so not good for your sleep at all.

What time do you go to sleep normally? I would venture a guess that if you replicated your home environment and cut out the cola and caffeinated tea at night, you would have significantly less night wakings.

It sounds like you are also leaving more time to empty your bladder at home too. If you stop drinking tea/cola in your flat at 9pm and then go to bed at 11pm, you are likely to be leaving very little time to get rid of urine. Whereas if you have your last cuppa after dinner with your parents at 9pm but then stay up chatting till 1am there is more time to "empty the tank" before bed. Also, the avoidance of cola will be playing a part.

It's good to get this sorted now as we know that sleep deprivation is continually associated with a wide range of health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

this sounds more like a psychological problem. are you afraid of, sorry to be blunt, peeing in bed during sleep?
    because, from experience, sometimes I wake up and I feel the need to pee, but I'm more asleep than awake, so I fall asleep again. And it never happend I peed in my bed. I wake up in the morning and there's the need to pee, sometimes more urgent, sometimes less, but I think the bladder can take more in than we sometimes think.
    so maybe try it just not to go and fall asleep again.

Advertisement