Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macular Degeneration

Options
  • 10-03-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

My Father has this condition and I am looking for info on treatment options. He is currently being treated privately but its very expensive. The only treatment available basically is injections into the eye which cost about €1000 each. I presume treatment can be got publicly. anyone here on boards getting treatment publicly or privately for macular degeneration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

king2 wrote: »
    My Father has this condition and I am looking for info on treatment options. He is currently being treated privately but its very expensive. The only treatment available basically is injections into the eye which cost about €1000 each. I presume treatment can be got publicly. anyone here on boards getting treatment publicly or privately for macular degeneration?

It sounds like he has wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Some people need dozens of injections over many years so the private fees can mount up. Treatment is available in public hospitals and if he has a medical card then the injections are free. If he doesn't have a medical card then there is a procedure fee, usually around €75 per injection.

The most commonly used drug is Avastin (bevacizumab), which is available in all public hospitals. There are other drugs like Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Eylea (aflibercept) which are available in some, but not all, public hospitals.

If the consultant your father is seeing privately also works in a public hospital, you could ask to be transferred to the public clinic. If the consultant is only private, you can ask them to transfer you to another consultant in a public hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

Arbie wrote: »
    It sounds like he has wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Some people need dozens of injections over many years so the private fees can mount up. Treatment is available in public hospitals and if he has a medical card then the injections are free. If he doesn't have a medical card then there is a procedure fee, usually around €75 per injection.

The most commonly used drug is Avastin (bevacizumab), which is available in all public hospitals. There are other drugs like Lucentis (ranibizumab) and Eylea (aflibercept) which are available in some, but not all, public hospitals.

If the consultant your father is seeing privately also works in a public hospital, you could ask to be transferred to the public clinic. If the consultant is only private, you can ask them to transfer you to another consultant in a public hospital.

Thanks for that info. I presume most people treated privately have the injections paid for by their health insurance, or do you need very high level health insurance to cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

king2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. I presume most people treated privately have the injections paid for by their health insurance, or do you need very high level health insurance to cover it?

Yes most people are covered by VHI etc. As far as I know the lower levels do not cover it fully but the mid & high levels generally do. It would depend however on the hospital and the specific policy.

Advertisement