Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people still playing MMOs?

Options
  • 10-03-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭

so who is still playing MMO games on a regular basis and do you feel that the sub based ones are still worth it?

Do you play MMO's 61 votes

Yes, I play MMO's
    0% 0 votes
    No, I do not play MMO's
    42% 26 votes
    Atari Jaguar plays all MMO's
    57% 35 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I play SWTOR all the time, but only the PvE class stories, I've no interest in the co-op portions.

So to answer, yes, but no...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Still jump on LOTRO once in a while, mainly to pay the upkeep on the Fellowship House......then I get dragged into some quests for a couple of hours.....suddenly it's morning and I hate myself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I still play Wow and some Blade and Soul as well, the Legion expansion really sucked me back into Wow again, I have Guild Wars 2 as well and the expansions but have not played in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I actually wouldn't mind playing an mmo with some friends but its just the time needed that's the problem. Last one I played was elder scrolls online which I liked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I still play SWTOR, Planetside 2, and Elite Dangerous on occasion whilst mixing it up with other co-op or team-based MP games, but like icyseanfitz said, it's mostly all about the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Still playing Guild Wars and Star Trek Online.

I got sick of asshats on swtor, but I may go back too complete the pve stories, as I did enjoy them.

Edit: I did enjoy the Secret World for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Eve Online for 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 for me. Still play them regularly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Guild war 2 but haven't logged on in yonks, was thinking of resubbing too Final fantasy 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I played Legion for two month's after it was released. I really like MMORPG in general but these days i just don't have the time to devote to them. Sitting down for 4-5 hours to try the new raids in the old expansions was one of my fondest gaming memories and i wish i could still do that today but i just can't. Pretty much all of the games i play these days comes with a pause feature. Except Dark Souls :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I played Legion for two month's after it was released. I really like MMORPG in general but these days i just don't have the time to devote to them. Sitting down for 4-5 hours to try the new raids in the old expansions was one of my fondest gaming memories and i wish i could still do that today but i just can't. Pretty much all of the games i play these days comes with a pause feature. Except Dark Souls :D
    4-5 hours? Young people today... I remember back in Everquest 1 days you could spend a whole day in the plane of fear if things went wrong along with losing a couple of levels :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I've actually recently started back playing Anarchy Online. I've been playing it on and off since it's release in 2001 and it got a Steam release about 2 weeks ago which injected some new players into it - while the graphics look dated the game itself holds up very well still and the amount of depth and customisation it has to offer shows how in a way that MMO's used to be alot more substance then the shallow but flashly gaming MMO experiences in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still subbed to WoW. Legion has been probably the best expansion since WOTLK in my opinion. Unfortunate timing that another addition to our family meant I had to sit out mythic raiding, but back in a guild this tier and while only getting through heroic, looking forward to try break into this mythic team.

I'll probably only give up on WoW when they pack it in at this stage, just so many friends, so many memories and so much enjoyment. No other game comes close for me. And for €13 a month or whatever it costs, peanuts for the content I get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I still play STO and SWTOR but only when new content drops. There just hasn't been any big MMO's coming out apart from the Korean grindfests.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Playing SWTOR as it seems to be a single player game for the story where you can optionally do stuff with others. Quite enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

I'm back in WoW for the last maybe two years. The legion content has been great. Even recently the 7.2 patch gave me loads more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Haven't played an MMO since I stopped playing WoW in early 2014. Started back in 2005 and aside from two 6-month gaps, played for 8.5 years. Dipped into LOTRO, Conan and SWTOR as I got caught up in the "new WoW killer" hype.

For me, I had a 'I hate this game but can't stop playing' mentality for a while. Eventually the 'I hate this game' part won out and I haven't felt any need to go back to an MMO since.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I play The Secret World around once a week with friends and used to play Defiance and even a little bit of Warframe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Shiminay wrote: »
    I play The Secret World around once a week with friends and used to play Defiance and even a little bit of Warframe.

I loved the Secret World, as it was a great single-player game, but I came to a juddering halt when I could not get past a specific mob (end of the desert world) - nothing I did worked, and so I got discouraged and stopped playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Shiminay wrote: »

loved their puzzles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Used to play Lineage 2 years back. About 4 years since I last touched it.
    Played it since it was launched in around 2003 with periods on and off.

Haven't really found anything else to replace it after it got stale.

Tried Black Desert Online which was a bit of fun at the beginning, but I don't have the time to invest into it to make a proper run of it :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I used to play Star Wars Galaxies (where it all started for me!), and then moved on to WoW, which I played for about 4 years, iirc. I played a variety of other MMOs in the mean time, such as EverQuest 2, Guild Wars, etc. However, I played SW:TOR relentlessly for about 2 years when it came out. I loved SW:TOR. It was the first MMO since WoW that brought something different (full voice, and decision making). Wonderful game and I stopped not long after they introduced F2P mode as I had other things going on at the time.

If I was ever to go back to any MMO, it would be SW:TOR. Damn.. I really want to play it now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MMO or MMORPG?

Think WoT counts as an MMO if the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Still not much of a gamer, and aside from a brief flirtation with Entropia never an MMO type game player before but just installed Guild Wars 2 since it is free and have been playing it on and off for awhile.

Aside from the constant attempts to get you to buy the Expansion (which I can see is 13euro on one site so I might buy it today) it is very enjoyable. Only started it because the two guys I spend most of my time beside in work are mad into it.

Only played solo really so far, so all the other aspects of the game are still waiting for my first timer exploration.

Advertisement