Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of moving to linux

Options
  • 09-03-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i am thinking of moving to linux but keeping windows too. what size of a partition would i need for linux? will it recognise my windows partition? will it work with my phone and tablet aas a media device? what is the best linux ubuntu or mint? i have used linux before but not for a few years. i need to keep my windows partition to do editing on but i am fed u with having to install antivirus software and anti spyware software

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Bob Z wrote: »
    i am thinking of moving to linux but keeping windows too. what size of a partition would i need for linux?

Probably about 20GB for the OS and further space for your personal setup files and docs etc. usually put on a separate partition at /home
    will it recognise my windows partition?

Yes.
    will it work with my phone and tablet aas a media device?

Probably but depends on how common your phone is I guess.
    what is the best linux ubuntu or mint?

Neither, maybe.
    The best is whatever distro suits you.
    i have used linux before but not for a few years. i need to keep my windows partition to do editing on but i am fed u with having to install antivirus software and anti spyware software

I suggest you try many different distros before deciding on which seems to suit you best.
    distrowatch.com has a list of available distros.

Be prepared to change your mind, as often the first choice is not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Probably about 20GB for the OS and further space for your personal setup files and docs etc. usually put on a separate partition

you mean have 2 partitions for linux? wouldnt 20 gb do for files and os?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Bob Z wrote: »
    you mean have 2 partitions for linux? wouldnt 20 gb do for files and os?

It could ...... it would depend on how much you use it and for what.

I have a lot of applications installed and the OS is using 15GB here.
    The other partition holds documents, videos, music and other 'stuff'.

They can all reside on the one partition if that is what you want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a huge advantage to doing two partitions when you start off with Linux - you are likely to try a few different distros until you find the one you like/love/can just about tolerate and its easier to swap around without affecting your data. To account for over-eager installers, keep backups though!

Back in ancient times I used to have entire seperate hard disks for that purpose. 80GB FAT32 for files I'd want in any OS, 40GB for Windows and 80GB for BeOS & Linux. Each drive cost well over €100/£100 in the case of the 40GB; now a 3TB is €105. I'm ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Try GNU/Linux (aka Linux) in a virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox) or boot and run a live session from a CD/DVD/USB drive to get a feel for it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

In my case I tried both Ubuntu and Mint, but I used Linuxmint in the end. If you're transitioning from Windows to Linux, it may be helpful to you if you use Linuxmint since the desktop environment is similar to windows. I'm talking about the Cinnamon Desktop.

For partitions, I am currently on dual-boot with Windows 7. Yeah it's 2017 and still has this version on my PC. I never reinstalled any of my OSs since 2014. 

My setup is on a RAID0 3 hdd config - used for my OS. 50GB for Windows, around 100GB for Linux Root partition and the rest of the space is my "/home" partition. A 1TB HDD is attached and partitioned as NTFS - so I can access both from Windows and Linux. 

Linux files all important files are stored in "/home/myusername" and it is encrypted. All non-important files on the 1TB HDD.

Hi Gearoid. Have you tried the Linux Mint MATE version?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Gearoid. Have you tried the Linux Mint MATE version?

I've tried installing it, but I didn't used it for long. Though I find it great for low GPU laptops/desktops.

gearoid! wrote: »
    I've tried installing it, but I didn't used it for long. Though I find it great for low GPU laptops/desktops.

MATE is my favorite DE (Desktop Environment). I find it has the perfect balance of looks, functionality, and speed. I've never taken to Cinnamon (nor KDE) but to each their own. Welcome to the world of GNU/Linux.

Advertisement