Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declared criminal conviction, motor insurer will not renew policy.

Options
  • 09-03-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I declared to my motor insurer that I now have a criminal record. It happened to coincide with when my insurance was up for renewal. They declined to offer renewal and basically will not insure me now due to my conviction (drug related and nothing to do with driving).

Is this legal?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Taken from the citizens advice website:

"Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers."

They do have the right to refuse to insure you but must tell you why, even if it isn't motoring related.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I declared to my motor insurer that I now have a criminal record. It happened to coincide with when my insurance was up for renewal. They declined to offer renewal and basically will not insure me now due to my conviction (drug related and nothing to do with driving).

Is this legal?

Thank you.

If you told them it was drug related then I guess they have to consider you a liability driving. I'd imagine they're perfectly entitled to decline to cover you in that case. I think if you have difficulty finding someone to cover you then you can speak to the insurance ombudsman who will approach companies on your behalf however you can eciect the premium to be huge if they previously refused to offer you a quote and now are being compelled to. The ombudsman cannot interfere in the price you are being charged, they only ensure you are offered insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Is this legal?

Thank you.

Absolutely legal. They would be very aware that there as possibility that you will either use the car in the course of selling/buying drugs (if that was your offense) or driving under the influence.

If you do manage to get a price for some-one, be prepared to pay big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If you told them it was drug related then I guess they have to consider you a liability driving. I'd imagine they're perfectly entitled to decline to cover you in that case. I think if you have difficulty finding someone to cover you then you can speak to the insurance ombudsman who will approach companies on your behalf however you can eciect the premium to be huge if they previously refused to offer you a quote and now are being compelled to. The ombudsman cannot interfere in the price you are being charged, they only ensure you are offered insurance.

Taken verbatim from the Horse's Mouth;
    http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor
    "The Committee can also decide whether a quote is so high or the terms so excessive as to make the quote tantamount to a refusal, in which case it will review the matter."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Taken verbatim from the Horse's Mouth;
    http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor
    "The Committee can also decide whether a quote is so high or the terms so excessive as to make the quote tantamount to a refusal, in which case it will review the matter."

Yes, so all they have to do is quote high but not out of the park. So its €5K instead of €10K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

They can refuse to quote you, even with a valid licence, if they think to provide you with cover is 'against the public interest'. Drug related could fall in to that category

Advertisement