Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermodynamics??

Options
  • 09-03-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi Engineers, I have two engineering queries. The other is Aerodynamics and I'll post it seperately.
    This one could also go in the food and drink section!

I have a container of hot liquid (effectively water). I put a piece of cold metal in the water. The metal warms and the water cools.
    If I suspend the cold metal just over the hot water in the hot water vapour for a period of time until it has warmed it will cool the hot water less when it is subsequently submerged. Would the final temperature differ after a specific period for the two examples?

It's a plunger style coffee pot. I know the differences will be negligible in relation to the materials, volumes etc but theoretically...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

I would say that both will reach the same equilibrium temperature, although possibly after different time periods as heat transfer due to convection, conduction and radiation will be occurring at different rates for the different set ups

Advertisement