Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying medication with an EU prescription?

• 09-03-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

A new flatmate has a dog with her, she has a Croatian prescription for heart tablets.

Is there any place in Dublin that dispenses veterinary medicine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Is it an animal specific drug or one that's also used for humans? If it's for humans too then a regular chemist like Boots can fill it. I've had vet prescriptions filled there before.

Or she can go to her local vet and they should be able to order it in. Not sure if they would want to see the dog first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

It's a really common drug seemingly, benazepril hydrochloride.

Sold as fortekor

Used in humans but much higher dose tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭omicron

Is it an animal specific drug or one that's also used for humans? If it's for humans too then a regular chemist like Boots can fill it. I've had vet prescriptions filled there before.

Or she can go to her local vet and they should be able to order it in. Not sure if they would want to see the dog first though.

Vets can't dispense medication to dogs that are not under their care, so the dog would have to be confirmed to have heart disease by the vet to be prescribed Ace inibitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Cant you get the drugs online, using the prescription? It will be much cheaper (my vet won't give me a script for my animals so I can do this..) The only thing is you would need to confirm that an Irish website would take a non irish prescription?

Talk about a closed shop!

"Vets can't dispense medication to dogs that are not under their care"

Amazing that you can buy the drugs online though.

Thanks all for the info anyway ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Talk about a closed shop!

"Vets can't dispense medication to dogs that are not under their care"

Amazing that you can buy the drugs online though.

Thanks all for the info anyway ;-)

To be fair, imagine if a vet gave out medication to an animal that they had never seen, just went on the owner's word, didn't know the animal's weight, didn't know about medical conditions that might be contra indicated etc etc.

To buy certain drugs on line you need a prescription, which surely can only come from a vet, who must have seen the animal.

muddypaws wrote: »
    To be fair, imagine if a vet gave out medication to an animal that they had never seen, just went on the owner's word, didn't know the animal's weight, didn't know about medical conditions that might be contra indicated etc etc.

To buy certain drugs on line you need a prescription, which surely can only come from a vet, who must have seen the animal.

But pharmacies all over the country do so for humans? Seems strange, me thinks there is too much money to be had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭omicron

But pharmacies all over the country do so for humans? Seems strange, me thinks there is too much money to be had!

Vets are not pharmacies, they cannot legally dispense medication to animals not under their care. It's actually the opposite in terms of making money, I'd imagine you could make a lot more money acting as a pharmacy as well.

Pharmacies sell prescription drugs without a prescription from the patient's doctor? Really? That shocks me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP just contact the likes of viovet.co.uk, vetuk.co.uk etc and see if they'll take the prescription - i'm sure others can recommend other sites that they order from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

muddypaws wrote: »
    Pharmacies sell prescription drugs without a prescription from the patient's doctor? Really? That shocks me

They maybe mean drs prescribe ie repeat prescriptions without seeing the patient each time? Mine always have done;I live deep rural and am at times housebound so this works better. Have often had pharmacies post the actual meds out too.

Graces7 wrote: »
    They maybe mean drs prescribe ie repeat prescriptions without seeing the patient each time? Mine always have done;I live deep rural and am at times housebound so this works better. Have often had pharmacies post the actual meds out too.

Your doctor still saw you and wrote the initial prescription, even deep rural you cannot just go to a pharmacy and get prescription meds without a prescription from a doctor. But you know that.

Advertisement