Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this person entitled to benefits? or scamming the system?

Options
  • 09-03-2017 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I know someone who is a european resident. They have lived here for a few years, but have been on jobseekers for two years now, not even attempting to look for a job, basically using the system for their gain.

They recently sold their property back home, and as far as I am aware have not declared it here, do they have to pay tax here on that? also how does that affect receiving welfare, if you have a lump sum of money from selling property abroad? this person is planning on going back home at some point, but because they get a good amount of money every month off the government they are staying to use the system. It seems wrong to me, are they entitled to do this?

I would like to know, as it does not seem fair to people who are in need of that money every week, and it almost seems like theft. I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Report them to the SW and move on. There's no point in getting worked up about what others may or may not be getting up to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Just report them. It doesn't make any difference what nationality anyone is. If they're stealing it's from us the taxpayers so just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lovelife92

I just wanted reassurance that someone who sells a house and has a lump sum of money is entitled or not to claim welfare? what would I say in the report, I have never done this?

lovelife92 wrote: »
    I just wanted reassurance that someone who sells a house and has a lump sum of money is entitled or not to claim welfare? what would I say in the report, I have never done this?

You just say that you have information that Mr So and So living at no. 4 Country Lane Ballygobackwards has come into a large amount of capital as the result of the sale of a house.
    That's all you have to say.
    SW will take it from there.
    You can do it anonymously.
    The more money we take back from people not entitled to it the more money we have for those who are entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

lovelife92 wrote: »

The report form is pretty straightforward
    https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Advertisement

Aren't we all European residents??

Aren't we all European residents??

We are indeed.
    There can be a strange pecking order in people's heads of who they should and shouldn't report.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

How do you know that they're not attempting to get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lovelife92

Because one of their family members told me. They said they refuse to get any kind of job, I even suggested a job to them after them being on social welfare for 2 years and they ended up screaming at me saying they wouldn't do such a thing. As someone who works I don't think it is fair this person I have tried to help, is continuing to live off peoples taxes in this country. The reason I said european resident, is because they are taking peoples money here instead of in their home country, and have no intention of ever looking for a job here, when it suits them they said they will go back home.

Advertisement