Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding caution signs for protective dogs

Options
  • 09-03-2017 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a german shepherd - lovely dog that lives in the house. I want to get a guard dog sign for outside though and I'm just wondering about what they say.

Is it a case that I can set myself up to be liable if the sign says something and then that happens to a potential intruder?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've heard it should be something like 'be aware of the dog' rather than 'beware of the dog' but I don't know how true that is rather than anecdotal? We have a jokey one 'caution golden retrievers on duty!' and a pic of a retriever. They bark if anyone parks outside or comes in the garden so we don't really need a sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your problem essentially is that if you put up a sign indicating that the dog is dangerous, that means that you know the dog is dangerous. So if the dog strays and injures someone, or someone legitimately enters the garden (postman, meter reader, someone wishing to ring your doorbell) and the dog injures them, they're half-way to establishing your negligence; you knew the bloody thing was vicious, why didn't you keep it under proper control?

If you think the sign itself has a deterrent effect, there's nothing to stop you putting up an alarming warning sign while not in fact keeping a dog. But that ship has sailed; you've already got a dog, and presumably don't want to get rid of him.

Which begs the question; why do you want to put the sign up? Do you actually think people need to be warned about this dog, or do you think the sign itself provides a degree of security against intruders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have heard that "loose dog on property" is best, as it alerts that there is a loose dog on the property, but does not suggest that it is a dangerous dog or a guard dog, which can potentially get you into trouble if something were to happen if your dog was not contained securely and/or suitable signs were not displayed.

If you claim you have a guard dog, there are specific laws surrounding this that you need to be aware of, they can be found here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/255/made/en/print

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

VonVix wrote: »
    I have heard that "loose dog on property" is best, as it alerts that there is a loose dog on the property, but does not suggest that it is a dangerous dog or a guard dog, which can potentially get you into trouble if something were to happen if your dog was not contained securely and/or suitable signs were not displayed.

If you claim you have a guard dog, there are specific laws surrounding this that you need to be aware of, they can be found here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/255/made/en/print

Perfect. Anyone coming near the house here will be told by the dog anyway, from inside the house ;) She is great at her work. I have no sign up currently and am so remote here. Were i among people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A sign saying " I live here" with a picture should do the job!

• Advertisement

Saw one in a shop once. "Trespassers will be eaten" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

I have a sign on the side gate "Never mind the dog, beware the owner". It's a vintage looking one with a drawing of a Golden Retriever that my sister picked up at the local garden centre. Lets people know there's a dog inside without painting it aggressive ;)

Saw a sign on a farm gate

DO NOT CROSS THIS FIELD UNLESS YOU CAN DO IT IN NINE SECONDS. THE BULL CAN DO IT IN TEN.

And have seen that adapted for dogs.

Advertisement