Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat's small wound

Options
  • 08-03-2017 11:52pm

My big tomcat Corey is always getting scrapes on himself, think he's getting into spiky bushes, they're definitely not fighting wounds. He has had a graze on his side for three weeks now. It's about the size of a ten cent coin and it's only a surface cut. It scabs then he licks it raw again. Over and over. I put Savlon cream on it a few days ago and it kept him off the wound for two days, but now he's over the disgust of Savlon and licking the wound raw again. It's very clean and really only a small skinned area, but I'd like to heal it up since it's been a while now! I know it wont kill him.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is it ok to put savlon on a cat/animal?

If hes licking the wound, I would suggest a cone for a few days?

If its a round bare patch, could it be ringworm or some sort of skin issue?

Savlon is fine for ingestion. For animals and humans. Not ideal! But it wont harm him.

It's definitely a wound, not fungus nor "skin issue", I just gave the 10 cent coin comparison as an idea of the size of the wound. I didn't put a coin on him and say "It looks like this coin". It isn't round and it's definitely a cut. I have skin too and my skin has cut pretty often! I know what a cut looks like.

We are thinking about a cone but the absolute last solution - he's a very active outdoor cat. Though looking at the wound I'd think three days of the cone should sort it out. We'll definitely go for this when all options are exhausted. I want to heal it up very soon really because if the weather gets milder and flies get into it, he'll go at it even more. Just wondering if anyone else has any handy home treatments that could help - because a little surface wound isn't necessary for vet treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Perhaps a shot of anti-inflammatory or something wouldn't hurt to keep the itch away from it as it heals. I've just noticed with my lad that if you don't get small wound like that healed up quickly enough they'll keep licking at them and they just get bigger and bigger. I also found that if I put anything on it to help it clear up (steroid cream prescribed to him) then he'd just lick it all off in order to clean all the hair around it and made it worse than if I'd left it alone.
    It's probably worth sticking him with a cone now for a few days rather than having to fight with him for a week in one if it gets worse.
    (And yes my cat is a very active outdoor cat too, had to resort to a cone and a babygrow and walking him outside on a leash to use the loo to allow his wound to heal up)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I use this for the cats - they don't like the taste of honey - and if one does develop the taste (never say never) it won't hurt.

I was always skeptical about the healing properties of honey, but we had a cat that had a terrible, terrible wound under her arm pits and all along her tummy that would not heal at all with any of the steroid creams/different gels given to us by the vet. The skin started repairing itself and regrowing after 3 days using the honey. Cat never touched the wound with the honey on it.

I hope it works for you - I use it on myself now if I ever get scraped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitty-Activon-Medical-Grade-Manuka/dp/B003O31U86/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489064781&sr=8-2&keywords=medical+grade+honey

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I use this for the cats - they don't like the taste of honey - and if one does develop the taste (never say never) it won't hurt.

I was always skeptical about the healing properties of honey, but we had a cat that had a terrible, terrible wound under her arm pits and all along her tummy that would not heal at all with any of the steroid creams/different gels given to us by the vet. The skin started repairing itself and regrowing after 3 days using the honey. Cat never touched the wound with the honey on it.

I hope it works for you - I use it on myself now if I ever get scraped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitty-Activon-Medical-Grade-Manuka/dp/B003O31U86/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489064781&sr=8-2&keywords=medical+grade+honey

Perfect! Dunno why I didn't think of it myself.I've seen manuka in action on a friend's animals. I would tend to be skeptical too but this one really seems to work. Plus if it just keeps him off the wound for a day or two it should heal itself anyway. Looks like it's healed now, hopefully he doesn't go at it again tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement