Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Pack/Kit Houses

Options
  • 08-03-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi There,

I'm starting to look into building a house, a 3-bed bungalow with a size of 1300sq feet roughly.Considering building a flat pack/pre-made house from the likes -snip-. Does anyone have any information on these types of houses and how much they'd cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

from their brochure, their "warm homes" package wouldnt meet minimum building reg standard, their "eco" package might.
    ask them who supplies Part L compliance certification?

a timber frame with External Insulation is an interesting idea. id really need to see full construction and ope details to comment on whether id spend money on it however as DPCs would be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ben13591

Thanks for the reply, I'd gotten the brochure too, had a friend that works in construction and they thought it looks okay but the same as you reckon to get a real idea you'd need to see one. The website doesn't really provide any price guide nor do similar ones so its hard to know how much value they really are too.

If you don't mind me asking what's dpcs?

Thanks

Ben13591 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'd gotten the brochure too, had a friend that works in construction and they thought it looks okay but the same as you reckon to get a real idea you'd need to see one. The website doesn't really provide any price guide nor do similar ones so its hard to know how much value they really are too.

If you don't mind me asking what's dpcs?

Thanks

DPCs are the plastic membranes that stop water from entering the building.

In a cavity based system (double leaf) like standard block , or standard timber frame, its easy to stop moisture and drain it to the cavity to run away.
    In single leaf systems, as this sounds like, its much more difficult to stop moisture entering the inside because youve no cavity to drain to, so youve basically to stop the moisture entering at source, which is the external finish.

im not saying this system hasnt robust DPCs though, as i havnet seen any details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Ask them to visit one of their houses that was built 10-15 years ago - details like syd mentions sometimes only show problems over the medium to long term.

If they haven't been in operation that long you need to get an independent professional to review every single detail and help you decide if you want to be the guinea pig.

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping to hear back from them soon with more details on the house and will make sure to ask about the points you've just made. To be honest I wouldn't have even thought to have asked them. I'm meant to be hearing back on a quotation request. I'll let you know what they have to say if you're interested?

Any other bits of advice on what to keep an eye out for?

Thanks Again

• Advertisement

Ask them to visit one of their houses that was built 10-15 years ago - details like syd mentions sometimes only show problems over the medium to long term.

If they haven't been in operation that long you need to get an independent professional to review every single detail and help you decide if you want to be the guinea pig.

They've been on the go since 2008. Hopefully they have a way at taking a look at an older house. Makes sense to get a professional to take a look thanks for the advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Jamesgrace

Have you considered a post and beam timber frame with a non-load bearing wall of insulation? Quick to put up, looks fantastic and very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I have done some work with the company you mentioned previously. AFAIK they have moved away from one off houses and are now mainly doing multi unit rapid build developments.

Syd the walls system they used was the Knauf Maromit System BRE CERT

The Warm homes Package wall was 0.15, Roof was 0.15W/m²K. Can see why you think it would not be Part L compliant?

Typical snip--[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There you go OP.

There's the man to answer many of your questions!!

Fair play kieran.

Jamesgrace wrote: »
    Have you considered a post and beam timber frame with a non-load bearing wall of insulation? Quick to put up, looks fantastic and very efficient.

Nope i haven't yet, is there any advice on them or somewhere i can read up on them?

• Advertisement

kieran. wrote: »
    I have done some work with the company you mentioned previously. AFAIK they have moved away from one off houses and are now mainly doing multi unit rapid build developments.

Syd the walls system they used was the Knauf Maromit System BRE CERT

The Warm homes Package wall was 0.15, Roof was 0.15W/m²K. Can see why you think it would not be Part L compliant?

Typical Cill Detail Detail

Cheers Kieran, sounds like it might not be the best idea then if their barely making regulations and doing rapid builds. Do you reckon your better off looking into a different way of building a house then?

well the renewable requirement being an "option extra" for a starter
    Ive yet to see a roof u value of 0.15 being compliant under 2011 TGD L

typically 0.13 or better.

and the cill detail must be behind some login security wall

sydthebeat wrote: »

Cill Detail link fixed !

Renewables would be an option in NI & the UK were they did a good bit of work.

In the practice where I work, for basic spec buildings the roof will a U-value of 0.16 and they are Part L compliant??

Cill Detail link fixed !

Renewables would be an option in NI & the UK were they did a good bit of work.

In the practice where I work, for basic spec buildings the roof will a U-value of 0.16 and they are Part L compliant??

give me a typical part L spec which is compliant in your practise please?

sydthebeat wrote: »

Syd so the lower the u value the better the insulation of the house is? Also about the renewable energy aspect I'm considering geothermal for heating over solar panels, I've heard it's better any thoughts?

Yes the lower the U-value of each element the better insulated your house will be.
    Solar panels aren't generally speaking a very efficient way of meeting the Part L requirements as you generally have to oversize the system just to comply with the renewable requirement plus you will still need a primary heat source . Geothermal is a costly system so if you do go down that route make sure you do your research and choose the right Heat Pump and installer !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Jamesgrace

They're built off-site and assembled quickly on-site. Heavy posts and beams hold up your roof, therefore the walls don't carry the load and can be built from pretty much anything. I used straw on mine.
    Another advantage is that the structure can be completely enveloped with fewer thermal breaks and large glazing panels can be used for light.
    The frame is left exposed and displays hand-cut joints pegged with wooden nails.
    It's a unique system, not common in Ireland but used extensively throughout the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭waterford_21

Just following up on this year old post. Did u go ahead with flat pack - would love to hear how it went for you. Thinking along the same lines myself but very budget-conscious. Tnx for any info.

Advertisement